It's really amazing how one debate completely turned the tide (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:35:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  It's really amazing how one debate completely turned the tide (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It's really amazing how one debate completely turned the tide  (Read 2328 times)
sg0508
United States

« on: October 13, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »

I actually thought Romney would do well in the debate as the challenger typically does in debate #1, but I never thought you would see what we are seeing.   

I'll go back to what I've been saying (and I'm an Obama supporter this time around)...the economy, the economy, the economy and it appeared that for once, perhaps a perceived to be bad economy (his fault or not) would be overcome, but yet again, it looks like that issue may trump the incumbent. 

Again, not to say it's completely like 1980, but it seems like a lot of voters planned to vote democratic thinking that Romney just didn't have it or whatnot and then, his "stirring, yet untruthful, top 1% smirk" in the debate completely turned it around. 

It really appears to me that Romney could actually steal this thing and that OH is the last state of the group of states that Romney needs to turn.  I thought CO and VA were over, but suddenly Romney has a real shot at them.  FL was hanging tough for the president, but it looks like that one may be gone now and even NH is warming up to the republican ticket. 

Surreal to say the least.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 03:41:01 PM »

Yeah, a lot of people were gonna vote for Obama because they just didn't want the Romney they'd heard about. But thanks to Tagg Romney telling his father to move sharp-center in the debate, they now have a reason to vote for him. And I don't believe Obama will win the second debate by a big enough margin to shift the race back to where it was in September. The debate took away the advantages that Obama had begun to enjoy, especially on the "Who's Better For The Economy" question. He's gonna have to really connect to get that back.
If you had to take your guess at the outcome of the Old Dominion today, what do you think? That 7pm close is the clear Bellweather tipping point this year.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 03:42:41 PM »

I just don't understand.  I really don't.
Like Bill Clinton said at the DNC, unless people are "feeling it", they vote you out and we've all learned that people vote their pocketbooks. If you were unemployed four years ago and you're unemployed today, or you took a lesser job to survive and/or you got unemployed during the last four years, you're looking for any reason to vote the incumbent out.  Some things don't change.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »

I just don't understand.  I really don't.
Like Bill Clinton said at the DNC, unless people are "feeling it", they vote you out and we've all learned that people vote their pocketbooks. If you were unemployed four years ago and you're unemployed today, or you took a lesser job to survive and/or you got unemployed during the last four years, you're looking for any reason to vote the incumbent out.  Some things don't change.

Well, sure, the economy's not great.  I just don't understand how a debate where nothing particularly noteworthy happened—no gaffes, no witty one-liners—has led to a four point change in the polls in a year where until now the polls had basically been the most static of any presidential election year since the beginning of polling.
Politicians breed on dumb people.  They are salesman.  They HATE smart, educated people who can put 1 and 1 together.  They look for people who will believe anything they hear.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies