If Kasich out-primaries Trump...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 08:52:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  If Kasich out-primaries Trump...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: If Kasich out-primaries Trump...  (Read 1511 times)
Rjjr77
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2017, 07:00:19 AM »

As for the Borges finances, come on... That had nothing to do with bringing him down, and none of the county chairs who said a letter said it did, they all pointed to his unwavering support of Kasich however.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2017, 09:49:59 AM »

35% approval is too much to be primaried if he continues to have 80+% of GOP approval. He needs far less (around 25%) that Kasich has a chance. I would like Kasich to oust the Trumpster, but not very likely. As already mentioned, Kasich is not a good campaigner as Trump. He’s likable in small groups an NH Town Halls, but that is not enough to bring Drumpf down, I suppose.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2017, 10:08:29 PM »

It’s all but impossible to imagine Trump actually becoming so unpopular with GOP voters that he isn’t re-nominated.  But I *can* imagine a scenario where he faces a challenge as strong as the one Buchanan gave Bush in ’92: where the challenger breaks 20% nationwide, and breaks 35% in certain states.  If that happens, then I’m not really sure how much it matters if the challenger is charismatic or articulate or “a good campaigner” or whatever.  If there’s a solid minority of GOP voters who are ticked off at Trump, then they’ll protest vote against him with whoever is available.

One caveat to that though, which is that I think whoever primaries Trump will have to get to his right on at least certain issues.  Republican voters overwhelmingly self-conceptualize themselves as conservatives, and I would have to think that if some of them do turn against Trump, they would have to be able to tell themselves a story in which Trump has betrayed conservatism in one way or another.  And so Kasich would be a rather unimpressive challenger if his main criticisms against Trump are on things like Medicaid expansion and immigration.

So in terms of who would make a better primary challenger, I actually think Amash (who would attack Trump from both “left” and “right” at the same time) would probably have more potential than Kasich (who seems like he’d attack more from Trump’s “left”).
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies