CBS/YouGov: Biden +6
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:34:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  CBS/YouGov: Biden +6
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CBS/YouGov: Biden +6  (Read 985 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2020, 10:11:35 AM »

April 28 - May 1

Biden 49
Trump 43

https://t.co/jD5KNw5UMm?amp=1
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 12:32:22 PM »

Reaction from GOP Chairwoman

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 01:29:28 PM »

Biden +6 nationally, seems to be the going number at this time.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 01:35:39 PM »

The breakdown of this poll is 40% D / 32% R / 27% I. 35% Liberal, 35% Conservative, 27% Moderate. That is quite a bit more Dem and liberal than the electorates that showed up in 2016 and 2018. I reweighted it to the 2018 electorates for both party ID and ideology, and here's the result:

Party ID

Biden: 46.6%
Trump: 45.0%

Ideology

Biden: 46.5%
Trump: 45.4%

Even the 2012 electorate ended up only being a 3.3% Biden lead. If the subsamples are correct, this is much closer than Biden +6. The good news for Biden is that undecided and supposed third-party voters skew towards Demographics favorable to him.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 02:23:54 PM »

The breakdown of this poll is 40% D / 32% R / 27% I. 35% Liberal, 35% Conservative, 27% Moderate. That is quite a bit more Dem and liberal than the electorates that showed up in 2016 and 2018. I reweighted it to the 2018 electorates for both party ID and ideology, and here's the result:

Party ID

Ideology

Even the 2012 electorate ended up only being a 3.3% Biden lead. If the subsamples are correct, this is much closer than Biden +6. The good news for Biden is that undecided and supposed third-party voters skew towards Demographics favorable to him.

Unskewing polls by party ID and/or ideology is a terrible idea (see: 2012).  These are self-reported identifications that can change for an individual voter, unlike invariant characteristics such as race, gender, and birth year.  Weighting by the latter kind of demographics is appropriate and necessary, but guess what: the pollster has already done that for this poll.  From the methodology statement:

This sample was weighted according to gender, age, race and education based on the American Community Survey, conducted by the U.S. Bureau of the Census, as well as 2016 presidential vote and registration status.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 02:34:06 PM »

Party ID

Ideology

Unskewing polls by party ID and/or ideology is a terrible idea (see: 2012).  These are self-reported identifications that can change for an individual voter, unlike invariant characteristics such as race, gender, and birth year.  Weighting by the latter kind of demographics is appropriate and necessary, but guess what: the pollster has already done that for this poll.  From the methodology statement:

This sample was weighted according to gender, age, race and education based on the American Community Survey, conducted by the U.S. Bureau of the Census, as well as 2016 presidential vote and registration status.

I'm not even saying the numbers I got are accurate (I think Biden is leading by a little more than the 1-2% based on who's still undecided) but unless there's much higher Dem enthusiasm than expected (R's have an enthusiasm edge in this election at the moment) or the subsamples are off (more likely) I'm suggesting the poll shouldn't be so Dem friendly. I purposely used the 2018 electorate to show even in that year when Democrats had the enthusiasm edge the electorate wasn't as D friendly as is shown in this poll. The big difference between this poll and the 2018 electorate is independents were D+12 in 2018 but are Trump +2 in this poll.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 02:42:22 PM »

Party ID

Ideology

I'm not even saying the numbers I got are accurate (I think Biden is leading by a little more than the 1-2% based on who's still undecided) but unless there's much higher Dem enthusiasm than expected (R's have an enthusiasm edge in this election at the moment) or the subsamples are off (more likely) I'm suggesting the poll shouldn't be so Dem friendly. I purposely used the 2018 electorate to show even in that year when Democrats had the enthusiasm edge the electorate wasn't as D friendly as is shown in this poll. The big difference between this poll and the 2018 electorate is independents were D+12 in 2018 but are Trump +2 in this poll.
Is this true? Sure, Trump himself has more enthusiasm than Biden himself, but to say that the anti-Trump fervor is not just as, if not stronger than the pro-Trump fervor (which is essentially what Biden, being a pretty generic dem, allows the determination to bee) is a stretch that isn't backed up by data.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 02:55:19 PM »

Party ID

Ideology

Is this true? Sure, Trump himself has more enthusiasm than Biden himself, but to say that the anti-Trump fervor is not just as, if not stronger than the pro-Trump fervor (which is essentially what Biden, being a pretty generic dem, allows the determination to bee) is a stretch that isn't backed up by data.

Look at any poll so far that's asked this question (the most recent one from Emerson here, hell even look at the registered voter pool in this poll and who isn't in the 'definitely will vote' category (disproportionately young, black and Hispanic, largely D voting blocs). No poll that I've seen asks it in this way, though I'd be curious how the 'anti-Trump' enthusiasm stacks up to the 'pro-Trump' enthusiasm.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 03:04:09 PM »

Joe Boden
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 03:20:20 PM »

They did an mrp in this poll suggesting the current margins

im only including interesting states

Missouri +13
Indiana +9.5
Utah +5.5
Iowa +5.5
Alaska +5.5
Texas +4
Ohio +4
Georgia +1
Florida -1
Arizona -2
Pennsylvania-3.5
North Carolina -4.5
Nevada -4.5
Wisconsin -5
Colorado -6
NPV -6
New Hampshire -7
Minnesota -7
Maine-7
Virginia -8
Michigan -8.5
Califonia -24

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 03:35:18 PM »

Missouri +13
Indiana +9.5
Utah +5.5
Iowa +5.5
Alaska +5.5
Texas +4
Ohio +4
Georgia +1
Florida -1
Arizona -2
Pennsylvania-3.5
North Carolina -4.5
Nevada -4.5
Wisconsin -5
Colorado -6
NPV -6
New Hampshire -7
Minnesota -7
Maine-7
Virginia -8
Michigan -8.5
Califonia -24

I don't see the MRP anywhere on the link posted. Mind if you can show where it might be?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 03:39:45 PM »

Missouri +13
Indiana +9.5
Utah +5.5
Iowa +5.5
Alaska +5.5
Texas +4
Ohio +4
Georgia +1
Florida -1
Arizona -2
Pennsylvania-3.5
North Carolina -4.5
Nevada -4.5
Wisconsin -5
Colorado -6
NPV -6
New Hampshire -7
Minnesota -7
Maine-7
Virginia -8
Michigan -8.5
Califonia -24

I don't see the MRP anywhere on the link posted. Mind if you can show where it might be?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 04:13:24 PM »

Biden is gonna be Prez and Dems will win the trifecta
Joe Boden
Rookie
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 04:19:59 PM »

Missouri +13
Indiana +9.5
Utah +5.5
Iowa +5.5
Alaska +5.5
Texas +4
Ohio +4
Georgia +1
Florida -1
Arizona -2
Pennsylvania-3.5
North Carolina -4.5
Nevada -4.5
Wisconsin -5
Colorado -6
NPV -6
New Hampshire -7
Minnesota -7
Maine-7
Virginia -8
Michigan -8.5
Califonia -24

just search yougov mrp on twitter
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 06:26:52 PM »

Party ID

Ideology

I'm wondering if our Atlas ElectionsGuy was the creator of the infamous 2016 LongRoom.com website, that was "unskewing" and “removing the bias in the polls."
Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies