The Expanse
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:20:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Expanse
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Expanse  (Read 198 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2020, 02:45:04 PM »

Does anyone else here watch this show?

It's on Amazon Prime Video after having been cancelled by Syfy. I first started watching it back in January and I've recently started watching it over. It's definitely one of the best sci-fi shows I've ever watched. I especially love the world building that's been done with a show like this, showing off human expansion from Earth to the outer planets, and particularly the development of Earth and nearby (not to give away too much to those that haven't seen).

I also really love and appreciate the attention to detail in a show like this. Ultimately, space is very dangerous, and zero g is not different. This show doesn't hesitate to show what it really means to be a space-faring civilization.

When talking about this show, I'd almost be negligent if I didn't mention how well the roles are played. In particular, I can't not mention fan fave Chrisjen Avasarala (something I definitely can't disagree with). She's definitely a big reason to watch the show. Only watch this if you have actually watched the series:

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 01:27:46 AM »

Truly a fantastic show, and I hear the new season is going to have its equivalent of

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 04:34:32 AM »

I've got Seasons 1-3 on Blu-ray, so consider me a fan.

It's nice to see a space opera show which totally strives for realism with such consequence and detail (with some reasonable compromises necessary in a TV show... for a 1:1 adaptation of the novels you probably would have needed to actually film it in zero-g with actors who had grown up in such an environment).

Some people say they find it a bit too dark. Personally, I don't agree. Granted, it's not really much of an utopia akin to Star Trek, but the show does have its lighthearted moments between the crew and the principle characters at least try to make the world a better place.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 05:08:10 PM »

Truly a fantastic show, and I hear the new season is going to have its equivalent of

I'm kind of ashamed to say this, but I've never watched that show. I know the significance though and I'm aware of what's probably going to happen in the next season (that was heavily alluded to in the final episode of S4). I know that because I know some people that have read the books. The show isn't entirely the same, but it's expected that what's coming will be the same.

I've got Seasons 1-3 on Blu-ray, so consider me a fan.

It's nice to see a space opera show which totally strives for realism with such consequence and detail (with some reasonable compromises necessary in a TV show... for a 1:1 adaptation of the novels you probably would have needed to actually film it in zero-g with actors who had grown up in such an environment).

Some people say they find it a bit too dark. Personally, I don't agree. Granted, it's not really much of an utopia akin to Star Trek, but the show does have its lighthearted moments between the crew and the principle characters at least try to make the world a better place.

I don't think it's too dark at all. It simply shows what humanity as a space-faring civilization might be 200-300 years in the future. It does show the very real consequences of what could happen in zero-g environments and the real risks of being of in space. On the same token, it shows the real risks of high-g as well. The danger of going into space is extreme, but everything going forward involves risk. We don't advance as a species without taking risks. It's what we've always done.

You definitely need to watch Season 4 then, if you haven't seen it yet.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 05:30:37 PM »

You definitely need to watch Season 4 then, if you haven't seen it yet.

I have seen it, it just isn't out it on Blu-ray here.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 06:05:39 PM »

Yeah, I started watching it back in 2016, and have been a fan ever since.

Hoping that we get a release date for Season 5 soon.  They finished filming Season 5 way back in February, pre-coronavirus lockdowns, but I'm guessing the coronavirus-induced WFH situation slowed down postproduction, so I don't know if we'll get it by year's end or not.  There's also the fact that Can Anvar was accused by multiple women of sexual assault (link), and as long as that's being investigated, Amazon is probably uncertain about how to promote Season 5.  (I can't imagine they're going to refilm the whole season with a different actor, or anything like that, so he's presumably going to be in it, regardless of what happens with these allegations.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies