Final 2012 Predictions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 03:42:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Final 2012 Predictions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Final 2012 Predictions  (Read 13255 times)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:56:39 AM »

Mine went like this:
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 12:40:46 PM »

If you average all of the polls, then you could come pretty close each time. I've never been as far off as 2012. In 2004 I had Bush winning New Jersey and in 2008 I had Obama winning Missouri and North Dakota. However, in 2012, I had Romney winning New Hampshire, Virginia, Florida, Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Colorado.

Um what? Every polling average had Obama consistently ahead in every one of those states except maybe Florida and he had a national lead except for a few weeks after the first debate (but even then he never lost his EV lead).

I was all about Romney leading up to the election and have no idea what happened to the evangelical conservatives on election day. I think Rick Santorum would've been a helpful running mate with hindsight.

um what again? In 2004 when the last Republican won White Evangelicals made up 23% of the vote and Bush won them 78/21. In 2008 the number was up to 26% and McCain carried them 74/24. In 2012 the number stayed the same at 26% but Romney carried them by same margin as Bush (78/21). So Romney had more White Evangelical votes than either Bush or McCain which is impressive (especially as the white vote was decreasing overall).

Conservative vote share was up so Romney also had more of them then either McCain or Bush.

You seem to live in a counter-factual world.

The surprises for me on election day were that Romney did better in PA and OH than I had thought he would and Obama carried FL (i had guessed Romney would carry it narrowly). But

Obama pulled out of FL with a few weeks to go assuming the state would go to Romney and left VA for a little bit until the last few days before the election. This was a huge sign of Romney having the upper hand. I didn't think it was possible for Obama to win when he didn't have Bush to blame things on.

Excuse me?

This is completely false. Obama did not pull out of Florida. In fact, in the last few weeks of the campaign, Obama slowly but surely gained ground there. Look at Nate Silver's graphs to see for yourself.

Obama never pulled out of Virginia either. I have no clue where you are getting these ridiculous statements. Obama was always favored in Virginia, and there really wasn't much doubt that Obama would win it. Hence, your penultimate statement is also false, as Romney never had the upper hand in the campaign. At the lowest points, it was 50-50, but Obama was almost always favored, and sometimes significantly. Which pollsters do you pay attention to, Rasmussen and Gravis?

While your final statement is one of opinion, it demonstrates a stunning lack of understanding of how strong the Obama Campaign was. The Obama Campaign hugely outclassed the Romney Campaign in pretty much every way, from polling to commercials to technology to messaging. If the economy was better (and Obama hadn't messed up in the first debate), then Obama would have destroyed Romney in a landslide.

What states, aside from North Carolina, could Obama have reasonably won?
I think that Obama would've picked up Georgia, Missouri and maybe Indiana or South Carolina if the economy was in better shape and if he did not screw up in the first debate with Romney.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 07:46:14 PM »

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies