Is "Latin America" part of the "west"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:36:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is "Latin America" part of the "west"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is "Latin America" part of the "west"?  (Read 6069 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: December 27, 2010, 10:02:41 PM »

Depends on how you define "west".  Pretty much any definition not based on economic levels would include Latin America.  One indicator that a country is Western is that the primary native language(s) of the country has been written by its users using the Latin alphabet for a couple of centuries,  (Thus for example, Romania and Turkey aren't really Western, tho they have been Westernizing for many decades now.)

Yes, and I include Quebec as part of Latin America.

Not unless you're being extremely pedantic, and if you want to be that, call it Ibero-America instead of Latin America.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 10:48:55 PM »

Depends on how you define "west".  Pretty much any definition not based on economic levels would include Latin America.  One indicator that a country is Western is that the primary native language(s) of the country has been written by its users using the Latin alphabet for a couple of centuries,  (Thus for example, Romania and Turkey aren't really Western, tho they have been Westernizing for many decades now.)

Yes, and I include Quebec as part of Latin America.

Not unless you're being extremely pedantic, and if you want to be that, call it Ibero-America instead of Latin America.

Ibero entails from Iberia. So, I am confused as French comes from France, not Iberia.

Lumping Quebec in with the area that is usually meant by Latin America makes no sense.  Hence rather than stretching the definition of Latin to include Franco-America, use the term Ibero-America instead to refer to that area.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 03:32:09 PM »

A place is Western if the West accepts it as such.

Pretty much. We can all basically agree that the west includes:

USA
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Scandinavia
United Kingdom
Ireland
France
Benelux
Germany
Switzerland
Leichtenstein
Austria
Iberia
Monaco
Italy
San Marino

...anywhere I forgot?

Then there are a few nations that are almost always agreed upon (Greece, Israel, Malta, etc). But I think it would be a fair way of working it out; if 4/5ths of the 'universally agreed west' regard a nation as western, it is. The problem is that the question isn't important enough for the west to put its neck out and define itself.

While the West's culture owes much to the ancient Greeks, Greece is not really a Western country.  I'd include the Czech Republic, Poland, Slovenia, and Malta as part of the West.  The Baltic States, Slovakia, Hungary, and Croatia are part of the Western periphery in Europe.  They aren't fully Western, but they are more Western than Eastern.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies