WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 05:58:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 61
Author Topic: WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin  (Read 142721 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2017, 03:40:12 AM »

If Manchin can't hold off a primary challenge from this person then he was gonna lose in the general anyways.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2017, 04:56:44 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2017, 06:40:48 AM by SJoyce »

Slightly OT, but it's hard for me to understand why someone would move to West Virginia (as Morrisey did).

Morrisey effectively lives in Alexandria (or at least did before becoming AG), which is where his wife still lives and where his son attends school. He didn't "move" to West Virginia so much as buy a summer house in Harpers Ferry. He worked in DC until elected, and passed the bar in West Virginia four days before becoming the Republican nominee for AG.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2017, 05:34:49 AM »

West Virginia is a great state with great people, not hard to see why people would want to live there. However, the economic troubles there make it hard for most people to make it in WV. Young people are leaving it in drones due to the economic problems Sad

Morrissey is a weasel. I really hope the WV GOP voters pick Jenkins.

PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2017, 08:19:07 AM »

The Bernie Bros probably don't know what they're doing in this case. Manchin is a popular incumbent Democrat who doesn't act like a Republican-lite. Yes, he is probably the most socially conservative member of the Democratic Caucus, but he still is a reliable Dem vote on progressive economic policies. And it doesn't matter what Bernie Bros outside of West Virginia think; he's not their senator.

All that being said, In the unlikely event that Swearengin does pull off a win, she'd almost certainly be an underdog against Jenkins. Coal is too deeply ingrained into the culture of West Virginia for an anti-coal candidate to win against a pro-coal one.

Fun fact: Joe Manchin lost the Democratic primary for the 1996 WV Governors race to a member of the green party, coming in 2nd place despite outspending 3 to 1

http://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=7224
That was before the decline of coal really hit WV hard. And besides, Manchin then went on to create a group called "Democrats for Underwood" that arguably caused Charlotte Pritt to lose.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »

Why do Justice Dems think any of their candidates can win?

So we should just not run anyone anywhere and blindly vote for some neoliberals that we strongly oppose? Hell no!

Anyone like this should feel free to run, but they should have an expectation of being mocked if they seriously believe they have a chance of winning. Just because I might disparage someone's candidacy does not mean I do not support the person's right to be a candidate.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2017, 02:36:19 PM »

The Bernie Bros probably don't know what they're doing in this case. Manchin is a popular incumbent Democrat who doesn't act like a Republican-lite. Yes, he is probably the most socially conservative member of the Democratic Caucus, but he still is a reliable Dem vote on progressive economic policies. And it doesn't matter what Bernie Bros outside of West Virginia think; he's not their senator.

All that being said, In the unlikely event that Swearengin does pull off a win, she'd almost certainly be an underdog against Jenkins. Coal is too deeply ingrained into the culture of West Virginia for an anti-coal candidate to win against a pro-coal one.

Fun fact: Joe Manchin lost the Democratic primary for the 1996 WV Governors race to a member of the green party, coming in 2nd place despite outspending 3 to 1

>1996
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2017, 03:10:21 PM »

>1996
What's really interesting is that Pritt did best in Southern West Virginia Coal Country. I wonder why?
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2017, 03:24:32 PM »

>1996
What's really interesting is that Pritt did best in Southern West Virginia Coal Country. I wonder why?
Only explanation I can think of is the yellow-dog tradition. Southern WV was Al Gore's best part as well.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2017, 04:32:54 PM »

>1996
Only explanation I can think of is the yellow-dog tradition. Southern WV was Al Gore's best part as well.
I mean in the primary though. It was kind of to be expected in the general thanks to yellow-dog Dems
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2017, 04:41:30 PM »

Why are centrists so booty-blasted over a weak little primary challenge?

Not a centrist, but I think they wish we would devote our time and money to races that could flip R to D, rather than knocking out a D to maybe replace him with another D.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »

Why are centrists so booty-blasted over a weak little primary challenge?

Not a centrist, but I think they wish we would devote our time and money to races that could flip R to D, rather than knocking out a D to maybe replace him with another D.

Going after Safe D states to get bolder and younger candidates is most optimal. Feinstein is arguably a greater obstacle than Manchin could ever be.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2017, 07:25:32 PM »

Because people like you are tone deaf right wingers who advocate openly for riight win ideas. Just say that you're a conservative already, mate. We all know you are. Thing is, Democrats are already conservative. Just go to the Republicans already.

Moreover, you seem to think Manchin will be President. Seriously? If he's President, the US will have no actual liberal party. You've already suceeded in wiping out the left in most of the country. Left eing will only lose elections right? What happened to Ossoff? Wasn't he supposed to win? The DNC ppured so much money into that and ignored winnable races in Montana and Kansas, and I'm not ruling out that it was just pure spite on Perez's part.

Moreover, Manchin is essentially a Republican.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2017, 11:21:05 PM »

These "Justice Democrats" remind me of the Tea Party, but even less smart politically.

As a super progressive, we need Joe Manchin. Conservative Democrats like him and Justice are the only Democrats that can win in West Virginia for Christ's sake.

Think of it this way: If Democrats are too conservative for you in West Virginia, imagine what the Republicans are like!
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2017, 12:27:41 AM »

The John Raese for Senate Facebook page is still active! I wonder if this weak candidate will run in 2018. Will Raese also launch a primary challenge against Shelley Moore-Capito in 2020? Might he run against Jim Justice for governor in 2020? He's become WV's Harold Stassen.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2017, 02:50:59 AM »

These "Justice Democrats" remind me of the Tea Party, but even less smart politically.

As a super progressive, we need Joe Manchin. Conservative Democrats like him and Justice are the only Democrats that can win in West Virginia for Christ's sake.

Think of it this way: If Democrats are too conservative for you in West Virginia, imagine what the Republicans are like!

Boom, exactly! Finally, a far leftie with a good brain on his shoulders here, not a dumb idealist like crushbone or many other maroon avatars on here.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2017, 05:32:15 AM »

If only Ken Hechler was still alive. Cry

My thoughts are that Manchin is a moron and definitely overrated (Manchin-Toomey was a stupid issue for him to stick his neck out on, and his economic instincts are confusingly lukewarm and tepid for a supposed populist (not to mention his nasty daughter); but he will probably survive because the WV GOP is still trying to separate the wheat from the chaff that arose when it became the state's governing party in the Obama administration.

Swearengin wouldn't be dead in the water - even now, West Virginia isn't some sort of Mountainous Alabama where all the votes are locked in ahead of time, and West Virginians often seem to vote for really baffling people (I mean, a freaking Rockefeller was the state's Senator) But she has to prove that she isn't associated too much with the Sanders wing, by picking and choosing what issues she wants to focus on.  Single payer healthcare and free college? Would go down very well (spare the "LOL REDNECKS CANT BE EDUCATED" takes, please). Carbon taxation? Err, less so.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »

>1996

Hahaha. No. Plenty of West Virginians realize their economy is based on an industry that's unsustainable and makes them sick. The Mountain Party -- the WV affiliate of the Greens -- is one of the most popular in the country. Manchin is a moronic ass for sabotaging Pritt.

And yes, if only Hechler was alive. Goddamn hero.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2017, 02:56:12 PM »

Check out the John Raese for Senate Facebook page. He just posted today: "Shelley Moore-Capito has already come out against ACA repeal. She is now officially a part of the opposition party." He's being so delusional about running it's getting more ridiculous. He ran against every elected incumbent WV US Senator in my lifetime (Robert Byrd, Jay Rockefeller, and Joe Manchin). Will he run in 2018 and/or launch a primary challenge against Moore-Capito in 2020?
PAK Man

« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »

If there was an option that said "all of the above," I'd pick that.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »

It's odd his Facebook campaign page is still active. Raese still frequently posts there.
swf541

« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2017, 04:40:49 PM »

It's odd his Facebook campaign page is still active. Raese still frequently posts there.
He us probably runing in 18
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2017, 10:34:05 PM »

Merging three WV threads into a megathread left an ambiguous poll question at the top which I can't modify, so I referred to the subject of the poll in the title. At some point when the poll closes, would someone please ping me to modify the title again?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2017, 11:17:21 PM »

Breaking. Some no-name Republican named Scott Ernst is in. He's not related to Joni Ernst of Iowa, is he?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2017, 05:53:53 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 08:55:38 PM by ERM64man »

Former Massey Energy CEO Don Blakenship is considering running.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2017, 08:49:30 PM »

Former Massey Energy CEODon Blakenship is considering running.

Please no. He's a labor abuser.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies