Child Labor Restriction Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 06:35:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Child Labor Restriction Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Child Labor Restriction Bill  (Read 10957 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 05:03:51 PM »

Youve got my backing on the attempt.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 05:08:37 PM »

Am I correct in recalling that you think the alcohol age should be 21, but the marijuana age should be 16?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 07:04:43 PM »

Am I correct in recalling that you think the alcohol age should be 21, but the marijuana age should be 16?

I dunno, all I know is that at this moment, I would prefer both be 18.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 07:26:49 PM »

Oh, brother.  "Passing" the bill after the Senate session has ended is one thing, but holding a veto override with a new set of Senators is even more tacky.

Showing a little hostility aren't we? I don't see what difference it makes how long we have served? I support Senator Masterjedi in calling for a veto override, and urge my collegues to vote for it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2006, 07:39:37 PM »

That's not really it Doc. Legislation expires when a certain Senate ends. Even if it didn't, why should you be able to vote on legislation that was not introduced in the Senate term you were elected to serve? If this override is indeed going to go through, it should be done with the Senators in office last term.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 07:45:51 PM »

Then it should be reintroduced. New Senators should take up where the old ones left off, as it is in the United States Senate. When the new Senator is sworn in, they take the old one's place. The Senators that are no longer in office should not have a vote.

In any case, when it is reintroduced, I will vote on it, as I'm sure the other non-incumbants will.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2006, 07:49:35 PM »

That's what the Legislation Introduction/Reintroduction Thread is for. It doesn't just continue along.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2006, 07:59:14 PM »

I think it would be a whole lot easier if the Senate Rules, Regulations and Procedures were amended to allow any outstanding legislation from the previous Senate to be reintroduced in their existing state

By outstanding legislation, I am referring to what was actually on the floor at the time the Fourteenth Senate expired namely this Bill, together with the Wage Enforcement Bill, the Consolidated Criminal Justice Bill and the Copyright Reform Bill. I just think it would be a much more efficient Smiley way of conducting business around here

Nevertheless, if they have to be reintroduced then they have to be reintroduced. And they will take precedence. Not to mention the continuing saga of the Resolution on the Middle East Conflict, which has been on the floor of the Senate from around the same time Noah built his Ark

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2006, 03:00:59 PM »

I want a veto override. I'll wait for the new PPT to open it though.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2006, 01:05:19 PM »

As the sponsor of this Bill, Senator MasterJedi, seconded by Senator Virginian87, has requested an override; therefore, I hereby open up the veto override vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2006, 01:06:08 PM »

Aye

'Hawk'
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2006, 01:34:25 PM »

Aye.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2006, 01:39:10 PM »

Aye
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2006, 02:08:35 PM »

Nay
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2006, 02:27:15 PM »

Nay

And again we see a horrible abuse of Senate rules for political means.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2006, 02:34:51 PM »

And again we see a horrible abuse of Senate rules for political means.

The President vetoed his own legislation Roll Eyes and Senator MasterJedi duly requested an override within the given time frame

And given your behaviour during the last Senate, you are in no position to criticise. You either win the argument or you don't, and if you don't you jolly well get over it, rather than timewasting and wilfully obstructing because you can't get your own way

'Hawk'
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2006, 02:39:25 PM »

The President vetoed his own legislation Roll Eyes and Senator MasterJedi duly requested an override within the given time frame

Bro, you're having a vote to override a veto, made in the last term, to a bill passed during the last term, and having Senators vote on the bill, three of whom weren't eligible to vote on the bill when it was up for final passage. Defend that, or shut your mouth.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2006, 02:47:01 PM »

Talk about ineligible... Jake, you shouldn't even be a Senator... You just got lucky that Vlad flaked out.

I don't understand what you mean by calling the three of us who are new ineligible? The U.S. Senate does NOT bring back old Senators to vote on legislation that has been vetoed, and since Senator Masterjedi called for a veto override, that means that this Senate must vote on it.

Prime example, let's say Rick Santorum loses to Casey. If Bush vetoes a bill, and it is reintroduced, Casey has the right to vote on it if he has already taken the oath, and Santorum doesn't.

So, Senator, either live with the three of us voting on the veto or resign. There's no rule in the Senate regulations of this forum that denies newly elected or appointed Senators the right to vote on any legislation brought before them... That includes a veto override.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2006, 02:47:38 PM »

Bro, you're having a vote to override a veto, made in the last term, to a bill passed during the last term, and having Senators vote on the bill, three of whom weren't eligible to vote on the bill when it was up for final passage. Defend that, or shut your mouth.

This Bill was vetoed by the President on the 4th September 2006. Senator MasterJedi requested a veto override that very same day (i.e. within 72 hours). Request for the veto override granted

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2006, 02:55:02 PM »

Aye
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2006, 03:04:18 PM »

Talk about ineligible... Jake, you shouldn't even be a Senator... You just got lucky that Vlad flaked out.

Irrelevant. It's like saying the only reason you're a Senator is because a better candidate didn't run, ie, bullshit.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If we're going to take US Senate procedure as the basis of our operation, the legislation would've died at the end of the Senate session, vetoed, immediately blowing your argument in favor of its legality.

This bill was reintroduced in the stage it was already, which again would not be done in the US Senate, and hasn't been done before in our Senate.

This is true, and I'm not denying that. I'm saying that bringing this bill directly to a veto override vote is against the rules of Senate procedure for the reintroduction of expired legislation.

Either, 1. this bill is still operating under the term of the last Senate, meaning newly elected Senators would be ineligible to vote on it, 2. this bill was reintroduced in the new Senate, meaning that we should be waiting until the requisite debate time has passed and then move on the voting on its final passage, or 3. we're trying to mish mash these options together by introducing a bill directly to the floor in its final state, something that Senate procedure doesn't allow.

Of course, the honorable PPT can defend his actions and state where in Senate procedure he's allowed to carryover legislation between Senates, directly to a veto override vote.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2006, 03:15:18 PM »

Irrelevant. It's like saying the only reason you're a Senator is because a better candidate didn't run, ie, bullshit.

Ok, I refuse to play in your ballpark on that. It is also irrelevent to call the three of our votes ineligible, then. The three of us are now Senators, there's nothing you can do about it, the same as we can't get rid of you, no matter how much we want to.

Masterjedi called for the override after the three of us were sworn in, if my date and times are correct... But I can see your point on the three day debate period. Even still, I want to know what it matters, considering that the previous Senator of my district, Mr. Washburn voted for the bill anyway.

However, Senator Hawk did grant permission to override the veto. I see no point in arguing the vote at this stage, unless you just want to be a prick about it.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2006, 03:18:51 PM »

Aye.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2006, 03:27:24 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2006, 03:29:43 PM by Jake »

Masterjedi called for the override after the three of us were sworn in, if my date and times are correct... But I can see your point on the three day debate period. Even still, I want to know what it matters, considering that the previous Senator of my district, Mr. Washburn voted for the bill anyway.

However, Senator Hawk did grant permission to override the veto. I see no point in arguing the vote at this stage, unless you just want to be a prick about it.

Did you even read the second to last paragraph? I'm saying this veto override vote cannot be carried across Senate sessions. There is no Senate procedure or rule that allows it. None at all.

Furthermore, I'll ask the PPT why this bill gets carried through to the next Senate, without need for a final vote, when, for example, the Criminal Justice Bill did not get brought through in the same stage as it was left in? Try to at least be consistent when breaking Senate rules.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2006, 04:12:08 PM »

Question, Jake: why should the President be allowed to veto a bill and the Senate not be allowed to override it? Seems like this could be used by Presidents to kill bills they don't like without having to risk veto overrides by simply waiting until right after an election...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies