Supersoulty's Christian Theological Debate Thread

(1/11) > >>

12th Doctor:
I thought it would be a good idea to start an on going theological debate discussion thread for Christian topics.  So here we are.

Since I don't want to leave the impression that I am in anyway steering the discussion, I will let someone else start up with a topic.

Kaine for Senate '18:
My major problem with Christian doctrine is the idea that they use the Hebrew Bible to justify Jesus as the Messiah.  If you look at the specific requirements for a Jewish Messiah, which is what people claimed Jesus was, he did not fulfill any of those requirements.  He didn't overthrow the Romans, he didn't rebuild the Temple, and he didn't bring peace to the world.

Also, the common passge in Isaiah about a "virgin" conceiving is not accurate.  The Hebrew says that the child shall be born in wedlock.  It doesn't have to be a virgin, just an unmarried women.

Bono:
Quote from: Lt. Governor Warner for Senate '08 on January 26, 2008, 04:42:32 PM

My major problem with Christian doctrine is the idea that they use the Hebrew Bible to justify Jesus as the Messiah.  If you look at the specific requirements for a Jewish Messiah, which is what people claimed Jesus was, he did not fulfill any of those requirements.  He didn't overthrow the Romans, he didn't rebuild the Temple, and he didn't bring peace to the world.

Also, the common passge in Isaiah about a "virgin" conceiving is not accurate.  The Hebrew says that the child shall be born in wedlock.  It doesn't have to be a virgin, just an unmarried women.

What OT verses are you reffering that lay down these "requirements"?

dead0man:
Quote from: Bono on January 26, 2008, 04:44:35 PM

Mostly Isaiah.  link

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Kaine for Senate '18:
Quote from: dead0man on January 26, 2008, 05:27:11 PM

Quote from: Bono on January 26, 2008, 04:44:35 PM

Mostly Isaiah.  link

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thank you for the link.  As you can see, none of these things actually occurred during Jesus's time, or in the 2,000 years since he was crucified.  Especially the part about the Jews living in eternal joy and gladness.  Based on these requirements, I can say that Jesus is not the Messiah based on Jewish texts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page