What would a Catholic version of BRTD be like? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:34:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What would a Catholic version of BRTD be like? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would a Catholic version of BRTD be like?  (Read 4055 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: February 23, 2017, 12:49:23 AM »

Not being able to tolerate having a leader you're not in complete lockstep with is really not very liberal at all.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 01:26:42 AM »

Oh, also, you wouldn't become a conservative Anglican, you'd become a sedevacantist.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 02:40:14 AM »

Oh, also, you wouldn't become a conservative Anglican, you'd become a sedevacantist.

I don't see how even a Catholic version of me, with the rest of quirks intact, would be able to tolerate a Latin Mass or consider it the only valid mass.

Well, a true All Catholic, All the Time person would.

You can't be a True CatholicTM if you don't like the Latin mass. That's like Catholic Hipster 101 right there. Next step would be the Divine Liturgy and a strange fondness for iconostases, then it's a slippery slope down to the pining for the Mozarabic Rite, Maronite propagating signs of peace, and speaking Aramaic on the plains of Nineveh.

I like the Divine Liturgy and iconostases but get a "kings built tombs more splendid than the houses of the living and counted the names of their descent dearer than the names of their sons" vibe from the Latin Mass (although gun to my head I do prefer it to the handholding-and-Haugen style of liturgy). Have I skipped a step?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 04:41:04 PM »

LOL this was a fun thread actually.

His name is Rod Dreher, he writes for the American Conservative, and he had a book coming out soon. (I know that Dreher is Orthodox, not Catholic, but a Catholic BRTD would convert to Orthodox Christianity too.)

You know I thought that originally, but I actually think now even more likely is that I'd convert to one of those non-Roman Catholic churches that are still in communion with the Catholic church, like the Maronites or whatever. Even if I did convert to Orthodox it'd almost certainly be like some small Middle Eastern branch instead of Greek or a "mainstream" one.

Eastern Catholicism is just about hipster enough for you, yeah! And the liturgies are different enough from what Latin Catholics and magisterial Protestants are used to that even the real you would probably experience them as cool cultural expressions rather than boring ritualism.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 04:54:52 PM »

LOL this was a fun thread actually.

His name is Rod Dreher, he writes for the American Conservative, and he had a book coming out soon. (I know that Dreher is Orthodox, not Catholic, but a Catholic BRTD would convert to Orthodox Christianity too.)

You know I thought that originally, but I actually think now even more likely is that I'd convert to one of those non-Roman Catholic churches that are still in communion with the Catholic church, like the Maronites or whatever. Even if I did convert to Orthodox it'd almost certainly be like some small Middle Eastern branch instead of Greek or a "mainstream" one.

Eastern Catholicism is just about hipster enough for you, yeah! And the liturgies are different enough from what Latin Catholics and magisterial Protestants are used to that even the real you would probably experience them as cool cultural expressions rather than boring ritualism.

Of course it is (rather ironically) significantly more difficult for a Roman Catholic to convert to Eastern Catholicism than a non-Catholic, and even non-Christians.

Granted it's also hard to see the Catholic version of myself caring about such rules and would probably just start attending Mass at such a church and taking communion anyway.

You don't have to formally switch from one rite to another to attend Mass, take communion, etc. I'm a boring old Latin Rite normie and I've been to Mass at Ukrainian and Maronite churches many times. Ukrainian ones have especially good Easter Vigils.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies