Is there any chance pro-Palestine riots cause the 2024 Olympics in Paris to be suspended
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:39:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is there any chance pro-Palestine riots cause the 2024 Olympics in Paris to be suspended
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is there any chance pro-Palestine riots cause the 2024 Olympics in Paris to be suspended  (Read 190 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2024, 09:24:21 PM »

Given Paris’s large Arab and Muslim population, and it’s history of intense civil unrest, is there a chance that large protests/riots cause the 2024 Olympics to be suspended, either through pressure on local officials or safety concerns?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 09:47:17 AM »

Is this a QTWTAIN?
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 09:51:59 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2024, 09:55:52 AM by Red Velvet »

I mean, it’s FRANCE for crying out loud, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some high-violence political protests because that’s France in its natural state.

Considering how significant the Muslim population is in Paris, I would say there’s always the chance but the mere possibility isn’t evidence of anything as everything is always possible. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened.

But the Olympics wouldn’t be suspended because of some protests lol. They would just be a background scenery for everything, with strong repression from police because that’s always bigger during international events.

Some specific attack on the athletes during the events, especially ones that hold stronger political positions, should be more concerning tbh but I am sure security measures will be extreme. I visited Paris in 2018 and they were already big for average people like I’ve never seen anywhere before, even for simple stuff such as entering a shopping mall.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 10:05:27 AM »

Highly doubtful.

I am curious though if protests internationally are getting as much attention as the American college ones.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 12:34:36 PM »

Approximately the same chance of you making a decent thread.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 12:51:59 PM »

Highly doubtful.

I am curious though if protests internationally are getting as much attention as the American college ones.

In Denmark the protest 1 May saw some very negative reactions. But that’s not new, Antifa and other similar groups always makes a mess at the unions’1 May arrangements. The main difference now it was somewhat bigger mess than usually thanks to Middle Eastern types taking part in it.

Some pro-Palestine group also decided to vandalize the grave of former General-Governor of the Virgin Islands Peter von Scholten, von Scholten is mostly known for being a life long abolitionist and having abolished slavery on the island as reaction to slave uprising. They came with a long and retarded reason for having done so on Instagram which I won’t bore you with sharing but it included buzzword like decolonization, which means the group in question was college students and not Palestinian immigrants.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 01:01:08 PM »

No because Macron banned pro-Palestine protests, so I would imagine that the police would crack down on them pretty quickly if one was to break out.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 02:49:28 PM »

That would hand Le Pen the next election
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: