What was the white man's problem with Clinton in 96? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 04:40:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  What was the white man's problem with Clinton in 96? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What was the white man's problem with Clinton in 96?  (Read 4871 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« on: December 20, 2009, 02:32:25 PM »

Whites typically vote more Republican than the nation as a whole. I'm guessing many white people opposed Clinton's stances on many wedge issues (such as abortion, gay marriage, affirmative action, etc.) and thus decided not to vote for him, since Clinton was essential a Republican in terms of economics.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 05:36:23 PM »

Whites typically vote more Republican than the nation as a whole. I'm guessing many white people opposed Clinton's stances on many wedge issues (such as abortion, gay marriage, affirmative action, etc.) and thus decided not to vote for him, since Clinton was essential a Republican in terms of economics.

Clinton was against gay marriage and signed the Defense of Marriage Act. He opposed gay marriage on a federal level, which is about as conservative as you can get.

Clinton did very well with white women, who are more likely to vote on issues like abortion, so I don't think that explains white men.

I guess I wasn't specific enough. I meant Clinton was pro-gay rights, which unfortunately many voters oppose. I still think many white men voted against Clinton because they oppose abortion, gay rights, affirmative action, or some other of Clinton's policies.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies