Democratic WV primary + NE fake contest results thread (1st polls close @7:30ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:42:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic WV primary + NE fake contest results thread (1st polls close @7:30ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
Author Topic: Democratic WV primary + NE fake contest results thread (1st polls close @7:30ET)  (Read 17275 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: May 10, 2016, 11:08:19 PM »

Honestly, that map makes Ohio stand out just as much. I still don't get why Sanders collapsed so badly in Ohio. I mean, I'm not saying he should've won it, but if demographics really are destiny, he probably should've only lost it by 3-4%.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #451 on: May 10, 2016, 11:09:51 PM »

Honestly, that map makes Ohio stand out just as much. I still don't get why Sanders collapsed so badly in Ohio. I mean, I'm not saying he should've won it, but if demographics really are destiny, he probably should've only lost it by 3-4%.

Hillary winning Youngstown, Ohio was a pretty bad sign for him. I also don't think the economic situation is as dire even in those areas of Ohio as it is in West Virginia.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #452 on: May 10, 2016, 11:10:31 PM »

Clinton 53% - Sanders 47% in FAKENE.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #453 on: May 10, 2016, 11:10:46 PM »

Looks like the theory about a lot of his voters crossing over for Kasich was true. On top of that, a lot of his would-be supporters in coal country likely crossed over for Trump.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #454 on: May 10, 2016, 11:10:52 PM »

Farrell is at 14% in WV-3.  Can he crack 15%?  If so, would he pick up a delegate?

He's at 13.508%, which just barely rounds up to 14%. It would be a stretch for him to make up an extra percent and a half with 78% reporting.

With 88% reporting, he's up to 13.595%. Not quite enough.

Yeah, McDowell County didn't turn out as much for Farrell as it would have had to for him to pick up a delegate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #455 on: May 10, 2016, 11:12:55 PM »

Farrell beats Hillary for 2nd place in Mingo county.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #456 on: May 10, 2016, 11:13:16 PM »

Despite trailing, Bernie is currently getting more votes in Nebraska than both he and Hillary got combined in the caucus.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #457 on: May 10, 2016, 11:17:08 PM »

Yes, while there are other relevant factors esp. wrt voting rules and local party strength, the most obvious distortion in the Democratic map in this part of the country is that the Ohio Republican primary attracted a lot of voters who would have voted in the Democratic contest in most other states.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #458 on: May 10, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »

Some people say Pennsylvania helps to explain it but I disagree. PA had a closed primary (unlike Ohio) and Clinton has some pretty explicit ties to the state. Even so Sanders still ended up doing better in PA than he did in Ohio. Very strange.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #459 on: May 10, 2016, 11:27:04 PM »

I kind of want one of the 3 completely out WV counties to go for Clinton just to see Icespear's reaction.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #460 on: May 10, 2016, 11:32:02 PM »

I kind of want one of the 3 completely out WV counties to go for Clinton just to see Icespear's reaction.

I actually didn't think there would be a county sweep. I figured she'd win Jefferson and Kanawha at least, and maybe a couple other random ones. It was a pleasant surprise rather than an expectation, so I wouldn't be too disappointed.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #461 on: May 10, 2016, 11:34:33 PM »

Despite trailing, Bernie is currently getting more votes in Nebraska than both he and Hillary got combined in the caucus.

Are those actual votes in the caucus, though? Usually, with caucuses, they count county delegates, not raw votes. A lot of people made that mistake in WA, where hundreds of thousands of people voted, but some people floated the argument that it was only 27,000, because WA counts district delegates instead of votes.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #462 on: May 10, 2016, 11:36:48 PM »

Are those actual votes in the caucus, though? Usually, with caucuses, they count county delegates, not raw votes. A lot of people made that mistake in WA, where hundreds of thousands of people voted, but some people floated the argument that it was only 27,000, because WA counts district delegates instead of votes.

They're actual votes. Iowa, Nevada, Maine, Washington, and Wyoming were the ones that didn't release a popular vote total, according to Wikipedia.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #463 on: May 10, 2016, 11:38:20 PM »

With 98% of the vote in for the beauty contest, Clinton 53-47 appears to be the final margin. The main thing that's out is Nuckolls County, but it's very rural.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #464 on: May 10, 2016, 11:42:30 PM »

They're actual votes. Iowa, Nevada, Maine, Washington, and Wyoming were the ones that didn't release a popular vote total, according to Wikipedia.

I see. Well, if that's the case, Hillary's margin of victory in the primary in terms of actual votes looks like it'll be pretty much identical to Sanders' in the caucus. I'd definitely bet on Sanders winning the beauty contest in WA, since WA was a far more substantial win for him, but it'll probably be by 5-10%.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #465 on: May 10, 2016, 11:51:39 PM »

I see. Well, if that's the case, Hillary's margin of victory in the primary in terms of actual votes looks like it'll be pretty much identical to Sanders' in the caucus. I'd definitely bet on Sanders winning the beauty contest in WA, since WA was a far more substantial win for him, but it'll probably be by 5-10%.

On that note, Washington in particular not releasing a popular vote hurts him pretty bad in the PV count. The others are too small to really matter much.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #466 on: May 10, 2016, 11:53:50 PM »

On that note, Washington in particular not releasing a popular vote hurts him pretty bad in the PV count. The others are too small to really matter much.

Yeah, that could be another argument for switching to primaries. The way district caucuses divvy up delegates sometimes involves some messy math.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #467 on: May 11, 2016, 12:10:12 AM »

Hillary's final win margin in the beauty contest is 5,010 votes.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #468 on: May 11, 2016, 12:21:13 AM »

Benchmark is predicting Hillary wins in a squeaker in OR. LOL, looks like they're looking into the NE beauty contest a little too much.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #469 on: May 11, 2016, 12:27:07 AM »

Sabato's model said Sanders +8 for Oregon. Take it with a grain of salt since they predicted WV would be decided by less than 1 point.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #470 on: May 11, 2016, 12:29:27 AM »

Benchmark is predicting Hillary wins in a squeaker in OR. LOL, looks like they're looking into the NE beauty contest a little too much.

On Twitter, they said that they put that Clinton +14 outlier poll into consideration in their model, so that's probably why.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #471 on: May 11, 2016, 12:31:00 AM »

Sabato's model said Sanders +8 for Oregon. Take it with a grain of salt since they predicted WV would be decided by less than 1 point.

Sabato's model will be more accurate for OR, then, though I think OR will still be a double-digit win for Sanders. Benchmark Politics really should factor in ideology. OR Democrats are very progressive, which means even older voters won't be that hostile to him, even though he'll probably lose somewhat narrowly among those 65 and older.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #472 on: May 11, 2016, 01:00:28 AM »

The final county to report, mineral county, gives Bernie Sanders the sweep of West Virginia.

Source: New York Times
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #473 on: May 11, 2016, 01:03:31 AM »

The final county to report, mineral county, gives Bernie Sanders the sweep of West Virginia.

Only 6/30 precincts from Mineral county are in though. Sanders is ahead by less than 50 votes.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #474 on: May 11, 2016, 01:07:23 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies