Should the Washington NFL franchise's name be changed? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:39:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Should the Washington NFL franchise's name be changed? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Don't Know/Don't Care

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Should the Washington NFL franchise's name be changed?  (Read 2480 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: September 02, 2014, 09:13:16 PM »

Absolutely not.  I'm a Native American and the name does not offend me.  Everybody likes to get butt hurt over something and this is a pointless exercise that serves absolutely no purpose, but to satisfy the taste buds of political correctness activists.

What % Native are you?

1/32

Wow, that's almost full-on native.  You should get a cool name like Two Cats Fucking or something like that.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 10:54:53 AM »

If the Navajo Nation had enough people and money to have its own NFL team, it could name it the Redskins if it wanted.

Actually, the Navajo call themselves the Diné, not Redskins.

Also, if the Redskins were called the Indians, or the name of a particular tribe, rather than a racial slur, there would be much less controversy.

I think that's more problematic.  Cleveland already gets its share of grief, partly for the same reason as the Washington Redskins, but also because the indigenous people of the Americas know that Indians are from India.  Also, the using the word Indians merely propagates the errors of Columbus and his cartographers, who thought that the Antilles were in the East Indies.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies