Early Predictions: How many of the 10 red-state Democratic Senators survive 2018 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:08:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Early Predictions: How many of the 10 red-state Democratic Senators survive 2018 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Early Predictions: How many of the 10 red-state Democratic Senators survive 2018  (Read 3232 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: November 11, 2016, 07:21:50 PM »

It's quite possible that all of them survive, but I'd say a good early prediction is Manchin, Donnelly, and McCaskill lose, and the rest survive. Meanwhile the Democrats beat Heller and Flake.

Of the Clinton state Democrats, Menendez might also be vulnerable. I suppose King could theoretically be vulnerable to IRV oddities, but it's very unlikely since I suspect he'll get majority support. Klobuchar's seat is staying Democratic even if she retires (which she won't).
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »

I keep forgetting about Tim Kaine. I think it's pretty clear that either (a) Virginia is now a very Democratic state or (b) Kaine is a popular Senator who propelled Clinton to victory in Virginia or (c) Trump is a bad fit for Virginia. Either way, Kaine has very little to worry about.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 04:40:50 PM »

The last democrat to win anything during a midterm in this state was 2006!

Uh....
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 08:01:50 PM »

The more relevant point is that both of the midterms since 2006 have been Republican wave years. There's no reason to expect 2018 to be one.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 09:14:15 PM »

WAY Too Early to tell, but if the election was held today...
Joe Manchin (WV) : WV was the second most GOP state this year, but voted for Jim Justice. Who knows....pure tossup for now.
Heidi Heitkamp (ND): Should be an easy pickup
Jon Tester (MT): Tilt Pickup
Joe Donnelly (IN): Should be an easy pickup
Claire McCaskill (MO): IN B4 TN volunteer. Should be an Easy Pickup
Sherrod Brown (OH): Ohio Voted 9 points to the right of the nation....I have no idea if it will hold,  but Brown could be in real trouble. As of now, Hold
Bill Nelson (FL): Likely Hold
Bob Casey (PA): Likely Hold
Tammy Baldwin (WI): Potential PickUP with a strong nominee like Mike Gallagher or Sean Duff
Debbie Stabenow (MI): Likely Hold

"If the election were held today" I doubt any of them would lose. Pryor and Landrieu were leading polls up until the summer of 2014.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies