Romney wants to cut Arts and Amtrak (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 08:08:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney wants to cut Arts and Amtrak (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney wants to cut Arts and Amtrak  (Read 4159 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: November 04, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
« edited: November 04, 2011, 06:24:53 PM by Certified Swell »

Romney might have very well lost my vote here. Arts and Amtrak? What about the DoD and entitlements. Amtrak might bloody well be profitable if it's business model wasn't so messed up. I can take a train from Chicago to Osceola, Iowa to meet it's 4,000 people, but I can't take one to Des Moines? Amtrak needs to stop serving these ridiculous small towns- if they're going to be served, they ought to be under a state regional rail authority.

And why, unless I was a tourist, would I want to take a train that runs from Chicago to San Francisco in three days, when I could take a plane that takes 3 hours? Even if I was a tourist, why would I want to spend $1,200 on an Amtrak train when it's cramped, old, and has mediocre food? Even VIA Rail is of better quality.

We need decent inter-city service that runs from cities of decent size and sleeper trains for farther distances. Privatize the long-distance routes for tourist service.

As for the arts, how I long for the days that being elitist was a conservative thing.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:23:36 PM »

Romney might have very well lost my vote here. Arts and Amtrak? What about the DoD and entitlements. Amtrak might bloody well be profitable if it's business model wasn't so messed up. I can take a train from Chicago to Osceola, Iowa to meet it's 4,000 people, but I can't take one to Des Moines? Amtrak needs to stop serving these ridiculous small towns- if they're going to be served, they ought to be under a state regional rail authority.

"SIMFAN CALLS FOR DEEP CUTS TO AMTRAK!!!!" Tongue

That is what the headline would say if you were running. Call it a hunch. Wink

More like:

SIMFAN CALLS FOR CUTS TO AMTRAK SERVICES TO SMALL TOWNS, BILLIONS FOR BULLET TRAINS
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:40:58 PM »

I can give you more solutions for trains in Iowa, as an example.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:29:38 PM »

Why is everyone convinced art will somehow die if the government doesn't fund it?

I'm worried more about the trains.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:34:19 AM »

More like:

SIMFAN CALLS FOR CUTS TO AMTRAK SERVICES TO SMALL TOWNS, BILLIONS FOR BULLET TRAINS

You really think the media would be that accomadating? You will be lucky if they don't make it sound like you want to shut the whole thing down on sell the trains to China.

Oh but that's supposed to be bad. The subtext is:
BULLET TRAINS CONNECT CITIES, AND ONLY LIBERAL UNAMERICANS LIVE IN CITIES.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 07:22:28 PM »

More like:

You really think the media would be that accomadating? You will be lucky if they don't make it sound like you want to shut the whole thing down on sell the trains to China.

Oh but that's supposed to be bad. The subtext is:
BULLET TRAINS CONNECT CITIES, AND ONLY LIBERAL UNAMERICANS LIVE IN CITIES.

American politics doesn't work like that. At the end of the day, you are cutting Amtrak and it will be reported in such simplistic terms. People like yourself who love Amtrak will have same reaction you just did with Romney and refuse to vote for you in the election. This scenario is going to bite Romney in the ass a million times over, if he ain't ready for it. Most people aren't going to follow politics enough to know who is getting cut an who ain't. They just know someone is getting cut and the best way to prevent themselves from being the ones to make the sacrifice, is to join other people woried about other cuts in order to ensure no cuts occur at all.

All they'll know is that I'm an evil liberal who hates god-fearing, gun-toting, average Americans who live in the middle of nowhere.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies