43rd British Columbia general election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:51:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  43rd British Columbia general election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 43rd British Columbia general election  (Read 9146 times)
Flyersfan232

« on: December 06, 2023, 04:42:28 AM »

ods of the two right wing parties merging at some point?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 08:36:48 PM »

What will be interesting is which party comes in second or heck maybe even Greens form official opposition.  I am pretty sure BC United and BC Conservatives will merge before 2028 but whomever comes in second has upper hand and party will look more like that.

If BC United, maybe good in long term as Lower Mainland probably more receptive to them and while your pro-business type isn't exactly popular now, economic policy tends to go in cycles so at least will be able to win when economic conservatism becomes more popular even though unlikely will dominate way pro free enterprise coalition whatever it was called did in past.  Still will always be susceptible to a more right wing takeover and actually think keeping liberal name helped party before as MAGA type crazies see word liberal as a four letter word so they stayed out of power, but rest on centre-right cared more about policies than name so united right minus the crazies. 

BC Conservatives, at moment being populist and more out there seem better positioned to do well as lots of parties across Canada and globe like them doing well.  But with how urban, diverse, and educated BC is, its probably one of the worst provinces for right wing populism.  Will dominate Interior once merged but unlikely to do well in Lower Mainland.  In fact BC might follow path of California which was once a state GOP won most of the time but now is no longer competitive at any level.

That being said there isn't enough time left to merge or even cut a deal to not run candidates against each other.  And even if they did latter I highly doubt would get the combined.  Many BC Conservatives see BC United as another left wing party like BC NDP (they are not) and would just stay home if only choice was BC United.  By same token some more moderate types find BC Conservatives too extreme and would either stay home or plug nose and vote NDP.  A lot of the wealthy ridings BC Liberals used to dominate in Lower Mainland like Vancouver-Quilchena and West Vancouver-Capilano are eerily similar to your Romney-Biden counties in US.  It seems in US & UK your wealthy educated types are seeing big swings to left and I suspect it has little to do with becoming more economically left wing and more their disdain for right wing populism is stronger than dislike of left wing economic policies.  Even in Alberta, you saw this with some fairly well off ridings in Calgary almost going NDP and in Winnipeg NDP did win some and few didn't come closer than ever have before.

So if had a non-compete agreement, would maybe stop an NDP landslide, but NDP would still win a comfortable majority.  And dividing up ridings based on non-compete would be very messy and anger it would create probably would lead to many on other side just staying home and not voting at all.
there isnt the cpc doing well in polling in bc?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 08:48:41 PM »

The CCF was an alliance of agrarian and labor interests.  The transition to the NDP occurred in the 1960s which strengthened institutional ties with unions but also tried to become more of a party for "liberally minded Canadians."  The hope was it would displace the Liberals but that never occurred. 

I mean, in some provinces they have. Just not nationally.
it did one time
Flyersfan232

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 06:45:50 AM »

I don't think BC Conservatives will win.  Sure surprises can happen but I suspect if other polls show them tied or ahead, they will come under scrutiny and will win almost no seats or maybe zero west of Langley meaning cannot form government.  I do think a wake up call for BC NDP not to get complacent but I still think there is a 90%+ chance NDP wins.  BC is not a right wing province and while there is some support for conservative policies, not to level poll suggests.  Now in 2028, I could see them winning as right coalesces, they iron out the rougher edges and NDP being in power for 11 years means strong time for a change view.  Also with Poilievre, I don't think he will do as well as some polls say.  I think Conservatives get around 40% but quite possible fall into 30s if Trudeau is not Liberal leader or NDP distances themselves more from Trudeau. 
the only way for the ndp to that is to end the agreement
Flyersfan232

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 07:25:22 AM »

is the bc Conservative the og Conservative Party? or is it a different entity?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies