Redistribution is coming up... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:00:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Redistribution is coming up... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Redistribution is coming up...  (Read 2455 times)
deansherratt
Rookie
« on: August 04, 2009, 11:29:30 AM »

Federally it will take awhile and msut await the 2011 Census. I know the Conservatives have amended the formula to create a few more ridings in Ontario but an interesting question will be if they will preside over their creation.

I am sure that the Commission didn't work to prevent the creation of Conservative seats in Toronto - but their random efforts paid off brilliantly for the Liberals. Every large centre of Conservative polls seen in the 2008 election is separated by a greater bloc of Liberal polls. In central Toronto, you might have a Conservative riding based on North Toronto/Don Valley if the incredibly Liberal eastern polls were hived off. So too, a predominatly Jewish riding based on Eglinton Lawrence and York Centre would have elected a Conservative MP in 2008, had not very strongly Liberal italian polls not prevented this. As it was, both ridings were the most strongly Conservative in the city. 
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 12:25:57 PM »

How about the possible riding of Montreal-Est-La Beauce...
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 09:07:23 PM »

If I need to create a Montreal riding, Beauce is close enough...if all I need to do is connect highways and occasional hamlets in between!
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:15:54 PM »

Dear Senator...Do look at some US districts which can achieve quite similar results (but of course I was making the suggestion tongue in cheek).
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 06:12:23 PM »

Looking at it seriously, there are not likely to be many changes. Quebec is likely to retain its 75 seats by the current formula...some rural seats might get squeezed while some larger urban ridings might shed some territory but I wouldn't expect anything drastic.

Why the critiques of our Beauceans (or Beauceists?)? Francophone and Federalist.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies