official Iowa Democratic results thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:40:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  official Iowa Democratic results thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: official Iowa Democratic results thread  (Read 36574 times)
Politico
YaBB God
« on: January 03, 2008, 09:41:23 PM »
« edited: January 03, 2008, 09:43:26 PM by Politico »

Have to admit that I didn't see the youth bloc coming through for Obama, hence my last prediction of a win for Edwards, but they obviously did come through for Obama in a big way.

If Edwards wins second, Clinton's loss will really hurt, especially if she closes below 30% with the other two above 30%. If that happens, this will be a three-way race instead of the two-way race most everybody has been making it out to be the past few months. That said, Edwards needs to get a boost in New Hampshire making him competitive with Clinton or he's dead. After that, he needs to lock up those union endorsements in Nevada and get another win in South Carolina. If Obama wins a close race in NH, but Edwards manages to win NV and SC, we're in for a great Super Duper Tuesday.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 09:47:06 PM »

The youth vote is notoriously fickle. I figured they'd fizzle for Obama just like they fizzled for Dean in 2004. I was wrong, but I am pleased that Edwards is holding onto second place. Let's hope it keeps up. And let's hope Hillary comes out crying during her concession speech.

Tonight is a huge victory for Obama, a comeback for Edwards, and a daunting defeat for Clinton.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:57:17 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2008, 09:59:16 PM by Politico »

I like Obama and Edwards, and would love to support either one for president. My favored candidate has always been and always will be Al Gore, though. As such, I could not be happier with tonight's results. My dream is a three-way race all the way that leads to a brokered convention that produces Al Gore as the compromise candidate. Short of that, I'll gladly settle for Obama or Edwards.

A HUGE defeat for Clinton, especially if she closes in third place below that 30 point threshold. If she cannot win even second place among only Democrats in Iowa, if she cannot win the support of even a third of Democrats in Iowa, how can she possibly beat the Republicans in November? That ought to be the question the spin doctors ask the rest of the month.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2008, 10:08:49 PM by Politico »

The most exciting moment of the night: Watching Hillary's concession speech.

I can hardly wait...

If this holds up, tonight is a victory for Obama, a comeback for Edwards (He beat Mrs. Inevitable) and a HUGE defeat for Clinton.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:10:11 PM »

Question to the guys who dislike Hillary ... why?

Ask all of the Iowans who did not vote for her despite all of the millions of dollars and all of the time spent in the state.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 10:14:13 PM »

Iowa is presently unavailable (something about a caucus).  I'm asking the folks on this board why they dislike her.

The same reasons that the vast majority of Iowan Democrats did not vote for her.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 10:18:08 PM »

Sounds like Edwards is staying in the race... hmmm...

He did better than the "inevitable nominee," so of course he and his campaign are marching forward. It's almost like Bill Clinton in NH in 1992. This was a huge night for Edwards, beating the Clinton Machine.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 10:23:36 PM »

Obama will get 14 delegates towards the nomination, Clinton 13, Edwards 12.  So, in that respect, Clinton is 2nd.

Super delegates are going to abandon her if she continues her slide.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 10:24:32 PM »

Obama will get 14 delegates towards the nomination, Clinton 13, Edwards 12.  So, in that respect, Clinton is 2nd.

Why does she get more than him?

My guess is super delegate support, which is solely based on her status as the establishment candidate.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 10:31:24 PM »

Poor Bill. He should have told her to not run in the first place. He knows what's coming next even if she doesn't.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 10:34:05 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2008, 10:36:14 PM by Politico »

The Android is talking like everybody was too afraid to tell her she ended up in a distant third place, most especially her speech writer(s).

Even if she loses NH, NV and SC, she will continue. She will not drop out until somebody wins a majority of the necessary delegates.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 10:37:02 PM »

The Android is talking like everybody was too afraid to tell her she ended up in a distant third place, most especially her speech writer(s).

Distant?  1/2% is distant?

She finished nearly ten points behind Obama. She finished third. Come on...
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 10:39:54 PM »

Everybody except Obama, Edwards and Clinton ought to drop out. Let the viable candidates duke it out without also-rans getting in the way.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies