Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 03:38:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 144 145 ... 1167
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 905531 times)
Flyersfan232

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3475 on: February 26, 2022, 08:30:21 PM »

how do you think this will effect the up coming elections in poland next year and hungary this year?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3476 on: February 26, 2022, 08:33:12 PM »

how do you think this will effect the up coming elections in poland next year and hungary this year?
Well, I'd say the governments in both countries have adopted firmly anti-Russian (government) rhetoric in response to recent events, so in theory the impact this will have on public voting preferences should not be very large. But this is too early to forecast anything concrete.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3477 on: February 26, 2022, 08:34:44 PM »

This pretty much dooms populist parties. Establishment parties can just say they are responsible for the war.  The hardliners that control Poland are staunch Anti-Putin.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3478 on: February 26, 2022, 08:35:43 PM »

Russians now reportedly dumping their soldiers into the sea to save the Ukrainians the trouble of shooting them:

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3479 on: February 26, 2022, 08:38:31 PM »

Russians now reportedly dumping their soldiers into the sea to save the Ukrainians the trouble of shooting them:

Putin’s soldiers die, God laughs.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3480 on: February 26, 2022, 08:39:51 PM »

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3481 on: February 26, 2022, 08:40:40 PM »

Ten people of "Greek origin" were killed by airstrikes per New York Times:

Ten civilians “of Greek origin” were killed by Russian airstrikes near the city of Mariupol, on Ukraine’s southeastern coast, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis of Greece said on Twitter. “Stop the bombing now!” he wrote. Earlier Saturday, Greece’s Foreign Ministry summoned Russia’s ambassador in Athens.

Greek update:

I would imagine that Anti-War sentiment will be dramatic in Greece and quite possibly large massive street demos Tomorrow against Putin's invasion of Ukraine, with all major political formations united.

"....

Greece’s Foreign Ministry said Saturday that 10 people of Greek origin were killed and six others injured in fighting near Mariupol, a city in southeastern Ukraine and home to many from the Greek diaspora.

The fatalities include six people from the village of Sartana and four from Buhas. In Sartana, about six miles from Mariupol, six people — including one child — were injured, Greece’s Foreign Ministry said in news releases. At least 240 civilians have died because of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the United Nations said Saturday.

The deaths of the people of Greek origin — whose identities were not released — prompted Greek government officials to summon the Russian ambassador in Athens to the Foreign Ministry for a meeting Monday, according to a statement from Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias.

In Ukraine, nearly all people of Greek origin reside by Mariupol, Ukraine’s 10th-largest city. Located in the Donetsk oblast, the city of about 400,000 has more than 100,000 people of Greek origin.

...."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/26/russia-ukraine-war-news-updates/#link-R2K3JOQR4BG6ZFMPF63DLLQLAU

fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #3482 on: February 26, 2022, 08:42:18 PM »

i will wait for legit confirmation but if true, the russians are next-level incompetent. like something out of a cartoon incompetent
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3483 on: February 26, 2022, 08:45:33 PM »

UK Ministry of Defense updated Assessment:

9 min ago

UK defense ministry: Russia's force "suffering from logistical challenges and strong Ukrainian resistance"

From CNN's Josh Campbell and Jonny Hallam

"Russian forces are facing stiff resistance in Ukraine and making slower progress than they planned, according to Britain's Ministry of Defense in a statement late on Saturday.

"Russian forces are not making the progress they had planned. They are suffering from logistical challenges and strong Ukrainian resistance," the United Kingdom MOD intelligence update said.

The MOD said Russian forces are "sustaining casualties and a number of Russian troops have been taken prisoner by Ukrainian forces."

"The Russian government has reportedly restricted access to a number of social media platforms in a probable attempt to conceal details regarding the situation in Ukraine from their own people," it added.

"

Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3484 on: February 26, 2022, 08:45:58 PM »

While I used to be able to sympathize with some of Putin's views on certain issues, now I just can't. Putin is 100% without a doubt a war criminal now and I do not sympathize with war criminals! I still don't support US troops in Ukraine and hope that both sides can find a solution rather quickly, which sadly looks pretty unlikely at this point.

Just thought I'd give my two cents.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3485 on: February 26, 2022, 08:46:06 PM »

So glad to see Anonymous getting its hands dirty again.

Now THIS is channer culture. The alt-right are entryists.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #3486 on: February 26, 2022, 08:46:29 PM »

i will wait for legit confirmation but if true, the russians are next-level incompetent. like something out of a cartoon incompetent

Certainly seems plausible considering how mismanaged the rest of the invasion is.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #3487 on: February 26, 2022, 08:51:19 PM »

The ever strong Ukraine-New Jersey alliance:
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #3488 on: February 26, 2022, 08:58:11 PM »

We need to hear bronz's thoughts on this
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3489 on: February 26, 2022, 08:59:01 PM »

Yup, mil.ru and eng.mil.ru still appear to be offline. After several attempts I was able to temporarily reach kremlin.ru and en.kremlin.ru, but it takes a while and then the website looks pretty shot.

Appears that's because there's not enough bandwidth for the stylesheets and javascript files to load.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3490 on: February 26, 2022, 09:02:16 PM »

Yup, mil.ru and eng.mil.ru still appear to be offline. After several attempts I was able to temporarily reach kremlin.ru and en.kremlin.ru, but it takes a while and then the website looks pretty shot.

Appears that's because there's not enough bandwidth for the stylesheets and javascript files to load.

All of them are down right now.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3491 on: February 26, 2022, 09:04:25 PM »

One item curiously lacking from the Ukranian Military Defensive repertoire are the use of items to slow down the Russian Armored Advance.

This would include items such as Anti-Tank Mines (which naturally would trigger explosions of other Russian heavy vehicles), setting off explosive devises along major routes Russian convoys are using, let alone more of an IED style of asymmetrical warfare which has been extremely successful over the decades.

Hell, even the IRA used IED devices back in the '80s in Northern Ireland against English military convoys with a certain technology which used infrared light beams to trigger an explosive device.

This same technology ended up getting shipped back to the Middle East which was effectively used against British convoys in Basra Province in Iraq War 2.0.

Any ideas why (or if I just missed updates when) Ukraine hasn't deployed such tactics against the Russian Military Convoys???

Because Zelensky is a fool who refused to order mass mobilisation until the day of the invasion. So production would only be started and civilians would only be trained in those tactics for like 3 days tops. They didn't even have any barricades on Kyiv's main thoroughfares until Friday.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #3492 on: February 26, 2022, 09:04:47 PM »

i love that ukraine is following my home state's twitter lmao
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #3493 on: February 26, 2022, 09:05:24 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2022, 09:09:53 PM by Слава Україні! 🇺🇦 »

Lmao. Russian army, go f**k yourself!

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3494 on: February 26, 2022, 09:08:45 PM »

Makes sense considering the large Ukrainian American population in New Jersey...

https://nj1015.com/listen-ukrainians-in-nj-worried-for-their-families-back-home/

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2022/02/hudsons-ukrainian-community-unspeakable-terrifying-feeling-for-families-still-in-their-homeland.html

http://zipatlas.com/us/nj/city-comparison/percentage-ukrainian-population.htm

Heck, even in North Carolina there is a large Ukrainian-American diaspora which gotten local news coverage demonstrating against the Russian Invasion of Ukraine....

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article258734128.html
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3495 on: February 26, 2022, 09:09:09 PM »

Wow I know that guy! Small world, and love that they’re following NJGov!
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3496 on: February 26, 2022, 09:16:59 PM »

I've seen a lot of posts and articles talking about how outmatched Ukraine is in terms of personnel, equipment, and funding. This CNN post, for example, discusses how Russia's military budget eclipses Ukraine's by a factor of ten to one.

However, doesn't this overlook some pretty basic logistical differences? First and most obvious, Ukraine does not have a nuclear weapons program to maintain. Also, Russia is currently maintaining other military sites across Eurasia while a fraction of its army faces literally the entire army of Ukraine. The statistics about vehicles are also pretty scary, but even so, tanks and trucks are only useful so long as you can guarantee them a steady supply of gasoline. The air force comparison is also overwhelming though, which makes it surprising that Russia hasn't been able to obtain total air control yet.

I sincerely hope I underestimated Ukraine at the outset of this war. I didn't realize they actually have one of the higher military budgets in Europe.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3497 on: February 26, 2022, 09:18:06 PM »

Just heard on CNN that Russia has destroyed the dam northwest of Kiev.

Is there another Source?

I think I already read this earlier this morning or heard it on radio.

Well sounds like a Russia missile headed for the dam was shot down 11 hours ago... so not implausible since sounds like Russia has it on their target list of acceptable military options.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/ukraine-says-russian-missile-headed-for-water-reservoir-near-kyiv-shot-down/

So recent confirmation of Russian destruction of the Dam near Crimea from the Washington Post:

"Russia claims to explode Ukrainian dam that had blocked water to Crimea

By Meg Kelly, Elyse Samuels and Atthar Mirza7:00 p.m.

Video verified by The Washington Post captured a large explosion at a dam along the Northern Crimean Canal on Saturday that had been a source of increasing tensions between Russia and Ukraine over water rights.

Russian media shared the video, saying Russian military forces were responsible for the destruction. It is unclear who originally recorded the video.

The first frames of the video show that the bridge crossing the river had already fallen by the time of the explosion. Then, a large cloud of black and grey dust enveloped the area. Rubble showers down into the river.

Recent images show that the bridge was intact as recently as January.

Ukraine built the makeshift dam in 2014 after the Russian annexation of Crimea, blocking what had been a main source of water for the region. Hostilities over it increased in recent months after a drought worsened Crimea’s water crisis, and Ukraine made efforts to build a more permanent piece of infrastructure. Reports from as early as May 2021 suggested the situation was serious enough that residents in the area, roughly 10 miles from the Crimea border, were preparing for war.
"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/26/russia-ukraine-war-news-updates/#link-R2K3JOQR4BG6ZFMPF63DLLQLAU
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3498 on: February 26, 2022, 09:19:56 PM »

Freeze and drown motherf##kers.  Freeze and drown.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3499 on: February 26, 2022, 09:21:22 PM »

While I used to be able to sympathize with some of Putin's views on certain issues, now I just can't. Putin is 100% without a doubt a war criminal now and I do not sympathize with war criminals! I still don't support US troops in Ukraine and hope that both sides can find a solution rather quickly, which sadly looks pretty unlikely at this point.

Just thought I'd give my two cents.

I am trying to restrain myself from hyperbole in asking this, but on what possible issues could one agree with Vladimir Putin on? Serious question.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 144 145 ... 1167  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies