Should Islam have any role in the Iraqi constitution? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:20:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should Islam have any role in the Iraqi constitution? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Islam have any role in the Iraqi constitution?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Should Islam have any role in the Iraqi constitution?  (Read 3696 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: August 22, 2005, 07:58:28 PM »

NO

I can only imagine what the pro-war folks will spin if it ends up in the final draft.

Well to answer the exact question no I don't want it to have any role in the Iraqi constitution.

To answer you're second statement if that is the democratic will of the Iraqi people, to have a constitution that is based off of Islamic law and teachings, then so be it. We went in there to spread democracy no matter how it turned out. So if the Iraqi people democratically choose to have an Islamic document as their consitution then I will accept that as the will of the Iraqi people. I wouldn't be happy but I would do nothing about it. The same goes for if Iraqi elects Islamists to its parliament. It wrong and you do not like it but it is the democratic will of the people expressing itself.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 08:07:46 PM »

To answer you're second statement if that is the democratic will of the Iraqi people, to have a constitution that is based off of Islamic law and teachings, then so be it. We went in there to spread democracy no matter how it turned out. So if the Iraqi people democratically choose to have an Islamic document as their consitution then I will accept that as the will of the Iraqi people. I wouldn't be happy but I would do nothing about it. The same goes for if Iraqi elects Islamists to its parliament. It wrong and you do not like it but it is the democratic will of the people expressing itself.
In general, I would agree. However, democracy and the will of the majority never justify oppression of the minority. (After all, Hitler was also democratically elected.) If, for example, non-Muslims are treated as inferior citizens under this Constitution, then I would consider the document tyrannical: I would not respect it even if a majority of Iraqis support it.

Yes I completely agree. Tyranny should never be tolerated but until it gets to a point where oppression has become law we must except it as the popular will of the Iraqis.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies