Language instruction in primary and secondary education (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:32:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Language instruction in primary and secondary education (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Language instruction in primary and secondary education  (Read 6028 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: February 22, 2005, 10:11:53 AM »

Absolutely.  Start teaching Spanish and Mandarin at age 4 or 5, as early as possible.  Kids that young will remember it all and will thank you in 10 years time.  I know my kids will be speaking 4 languages before going to high school.

Word.  You stole my lines exactly.  English, Spanish (in this hemisphere), and to that list add Arabic and Mandarin and they'll be able to speak to any one in the world except the Quebecois in Canada and most Frenchmen, who, for whatever reason prefer no to learn other languages.  (I still remember hiking the Inca Trail with 15 other hikers from Canada, USA, Germany, Denmark, France, and England.  We could all speak English, Spanish, or both, except the French couple.  It was very awkward for them.)  Thus in addition to four, they should at least learn the phrase "oł est la toilette?"   In case an emergency arises on a visit to Montreal.  (I can assure you that the phrase is useful.)

As a start, generally, at least in our nation's two most populous states I'd say Spanish.  For New York, it's a tougher call, either Spanish or Mandarin.  For the folks way down South, I'd say English.  Start 'em as early as possible I say.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 12:25:30 PM »

If you'd really like them to be able to learn other Romance languages, get them to learn Latin. I've heard proficiency in Latin allows one to much more easily learn any Romance language.

Now, what would be really cool is if we can get our kids to learn Japanese. Smiley

Japanese was one of the five foreign language choices in my high school.  It was wildly popular, probably because it was in the 80s and we had all that business with Japan, and also there was that song, and also all these americans were going to japan to make money teaching english to the japanese.  I didn't take it.  Years later, in grad school in BU when I started to meet lots of Japanese chicks, I wish I had. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies