Obama has too much money?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:51:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama has too much money?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama has too much money?  (Read 2042 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2008, 01:35:05 PM »

Here is an interesting segment of a NYT article
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/17/us/politics/17campaign.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

This may explain why they are talking about states like KY, MT, ND, GA, NE, WV...they may be maxing out and getting diminishing returns in traditional swing states. I do hope they are not getting cocky.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 01:42:21 PM »

They should put some money into GA and also help Jim Martin win his Senate race there.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 01:43:19 PM »

But no, he's the people's candidate.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 01:43:38 PM »

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/10/obama_tv_advertising_more_spot.php

As the Obama campaign continues to expand its purchases on national network and cable TV—including time on NFL football and MLB baseball broadcasts—it has bought more 60-second spots on local stations and local cable. The Democrat has started buying 120-second ads as well. That’s in addition to the 30-minute infomercials he has purchased on CBS, NBC and Fox to air Oct. 29.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:24:17 PM »

First, I want to see how much he's really raised in September.  Second, is he borrowing any?  (Just for comparison, I think Clinton did in 1992.)
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 02:52:15 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2008, 02:54:07 PM by Politico »

Word on the street is they have so much money they're going to end up flooding the airwaves in states that currently appear to be leaning favorably towards McCain by 10-15% (i.e., AZ, MT, ND, SD, NE, AR, LA, MS, GA, SC). While Obama did not end up running the 50-state campaign he originally envisioned, it will end up being about a 40-45 state campaign in the end.

McCain has the handicaps of being much older and less charismatic than Obama, but when it comes to ad spending he simply cannot compete. Do not be surprised if this turns into a 12-15% landslide for Obama. I will no longer be surprised if Obama surpasses 270 EVs before the polls close on the west coast.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 02:54:44 PM »

Word on the street is they have so much money they're going to end up flooding the airwaves in states that currently appear to be leaning favorably towards McCain by 10-15% (i.e., AZ, MT, ND, SD, NE, AR, LA, MS, GA, SC). While Obama did not end up running the 50-state campaign he originally envisioned, it will end up being about a 40-45 state campaign in the end.

McCain has the handicaps of being much older and less charismatic than Obama, but when it comes to ad spending he simply cannot compete. Do not be surprised if this turns into a 12-15% landslide for Obama. I will no longer be surprised if Obama surpasses 270 EVs before the polls close on the west coast.

I really really doubt he will win by that massive margin, but I wouldn't be surprised if he spread into those states.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 12:48:23 AM »

I'm pretty sure that "the people" are the ones who are giving to his campaign.  If it weren't for "the people" he wouldn't have this much money to spend.

I do hope they are not getting cocky.

With Obama invoking the memory of the New Hampshire primary and saying things like this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I doubt he's feeling too cocky.  As much as I hate to admit it, Sen. Clinton's refusal to quit has probably done Obama quite a bit of good.  She basically forced him to have a practice election in every state and now he gets a redo to fix all his mistakes.  Plus, its given him an enormous advantage in the form of a virtually nationwide ground game that has been in operation all year long.  Plus, if not for the long primary I doubt Obama would have given near as much attention to North Carolina or Indiana if any at all.

In any case, its looking increasingly like Obama could easily win over 300 EVs.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 12:49:55 AM »

Keep dreaming, sir.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 12:50:35 AM »

You and Lief need to become really good friends. I swear you're the same person. Wink
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 03:06:12 AM »

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Obama surpasses 270 before the polls close on the east coast
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 03:22:56 AM »

I would like to take this moment to thank President-elect Obama for being such an great, principled idealist that he broke one of his very first campaign pledges to stick to public financing.  Clearly, Obama and the Democrats have demonstrated that they mean it when they say they are concerned about the influence of money in politics.
Mr.Jones
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 03:41:58 AM »

I would like to take this moment to thank President-elect Obama for being such an great, principled idealist that he broke one of his very first campaign pledges to stick to public financing.  Clearly, Obama and the Democrats have demonstrated that they mean it when they say they are concerned about the influence of money in politics.

It will indeed be worth if McCain and his team of mavericks were sent packing home out of the whitehouse come the election day.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 03:57:28 AM »

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/10/obama_tv_advertising_more_spot.php

As the Obama campaign continues to expand its purchases on national network and cable TV—including time on NFL football and MLB baseball broadcasts—it has bought more 60-second spots on local stations and local cable. The Democrat has started buying 120-second ads as well. That’s in addition to the 30-minute infomercials he has purchased on CBS, NBC and Fox to air Oct. 29.

I have actually seen Obama ads in Oregon on regular network (non-cable channels). It is the same positive ad over and over on local NBC and Fox prime-time stations. If he is airing ads in a state where he will win by double-digits there is obviously a massive surplus of cash to be disposed of or the campaign feels that this will help bring coattails to the Senate race.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 05:03:57 AM »

It will indeed be worth if McCain and his team of mavericks were sent packing home out of the whitehouse come the election day.

Why would McCain be there in the first place?
daboese
Germany

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 05:18:13 AM »

I think that one of the differences is that Obama has many people who will help his campaign without getting paid because of the enthusiasm around it.
McCain has to pay them...
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 05:42:07 AM »

BTW, isn't it a bit unusual for the democratic candidate to have the clear advantage on the money front? My perception have always been that money have been flowing easier towards the republican candidate - in most races anyway.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 05:45:19 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2008, 05:47:06 AM by Lunar »

The GOP has a better fundraising machine but it's a bit laggy this year.  Frankly, the Obama money machine has always been ground-breaking, probably due to the excitement his campaign raises within a segment (10-30%) of the population.

Money tends to flow towards the expected winner.  Buying influence for a future next president > buying influence with a future continued senator.

I'm not sure when the last time was that the Democrat had less money than the Republican in a presidential race, anyone care to clue me in?  Fact is, Democrats are usually at a cash disadvantage and there's not a competitive seat in the country (that I'm aware of) that the Democrats don't have a cash advantage at right now.  Maybe NH?  If you count likely GOP seats like KY and GA, then yeah.
Mr.Jones
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 06:26:46 AM »

Why would McCain be there in the first place?

Sorry my mistake. I actually meant the Republicans.
tokar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.87, S: -6.87

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 07:44:44 AM »

They should put some money into GA and also help Jim Martin win his Senate race there.

Seriously...

He should share the wealth with some House and Senatorial candidates that could use the help, especially those candidates in very small uphill battles (i.e. the candidates in KY, GA, MS-special, and TX) or very small leads (i.e. NC, MN, OR, AK).

And he should definitely help out with MN-06, to oust that dumb neocon b**** who thinks Obama is anti-american, all of his friends are anti-american, AND members of congress are anti-american.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies