Kentucky Passes 'Blue Lives Matter' Law making it hate crime to attack cops (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:41:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kentucky Passes 'Blue Lives Matter' Law making it hate crime to attack cops (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kentucky Passes 'Blue Lives Matter' Law making it hate crime to attack cops  (Read 2647 times)
Vcrew192
Rookie
United States

« on: March 22, 2017, 08:25:06 PM »

How ridiculously stupid. As other(s) here said, there are already other laws for attacking police. Further, just because someone may resist arrest and in the process hit a cop, does not mean they hate the cop. Consider someone being arrested for a murder they did not commit - they know they didn't do it, and perhaps they react violently and attack the cop. That is not hate, it's a reflexive desire to not get put in a cage for the rest of their life.

What about if two people get into a fight and the person does not know the other is a police officer - would that still qualify here?

These kinds of "red meat" bills are just as bad as what some Democrats do with gun control. Just write dumb laws that often don't solve anything, or perhaps even cause more problems, all to feed their base and give them the ability to say they did something.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/ky-general-assembly/2017/02/08/panel-approves-making-attack-first-responder-hate-crime/97650368/

The law makes attacking a police officer simply because he is a police officer a hate crime. Under current hate crime law, if I get in a fight with a black person and he dies I would be guilty of murder but not a hate crime because I wasn't motivated by a hatred of black people. I just wanted to kill this one black person.

In the situation you described, the perpetrator didn't have a hatred of police officers so therefore he would only be guilty of assaulting that one officer and not of a hate crime. This law is meant to apply to situations like the Dallas shooting where police were targeted simply because the perpetrator had a hatred for police.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies