Icelandic parliamentary election 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 03:28:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Icelandic parliamentary election 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Icelandic parliamentary election 2016  (Read 11147 times)
reciprocity
Rookie

« on: April 05, 2016, 08:44:43 AM »

I don't know if this is jumping the gun too early but it seems like the PM has asked the President to hold a snap election.

I can't post the link but the BBC has a story about it.
reciprocity
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 12:31:14 PM »

Looks like the PM has resigned.

Does anybody know why the pirate party currently is leading the polls in Iceland by huge margins?

According to Electograph, they are polling at around 36% with Independence polling at 23% which is huge. It will be interesting to see if it will hold.
reciprocity
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 06:34:06 PM »

I'm guessing SDA politicians were also implicated in the Panama Papers?

I am sure that I read that an SDA politician had to resign in 2013 due to tax issues.
reciprocity
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 07:17:30 PM »

IP may have libertarians infested in its infrastructure, but by its nature and its electoral/finanxial base cannot be too radical in its plans.

This might be a stupid question but what would the libertarian wing do to upset their base? I would assume that their supporters are free marketers, no?
reciprocity
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 09:26:43 PM »

The major issue is fishing*. The IP (I.e. status quo) want to keep quotas which benefit the existing fishing companies. The left + free marketers want fishing auctions, which would let in other fishers. Basically the IP base are status quo people at heart and prefer not to rock the boat, because they have it made. IP's libertarian base want to very much rock the boat by pushing through major reforms - the small c conservatives don't like that sheet. (It's sort of how the Tories try and brush their young keen freemarket disciples under the carpet when Mr and Mrs Wilmington Esq. come in to see what policies they have).

(*if I remember correctly. I will no doubt be messaged on AAD by a pedantic Dane if incorrect lol)

Who knew the left and libertarians would agree on something! I guess I understand the left wing perspective though. LOL I am sure that Mr and Mrs Wilmington Esq. consider themselves free marketers.... well the Thatcherite, special interest type. Anyway,  why don't the libertarians build their own new separate party? Especially since there is a proportional electoral system.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies