VA-Gov 2021: Herring for AG after submitting to resident political overlord T-MAC (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:28:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-Gov 2021: Herring for AG after submitting to resident political overlord T-MAC (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA-Gov 2021: Herring for AG after submitting to resident political overlord T-MAC  (Read 22355 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« on: July 22, 2020, 11:50:16 AM »

VPAP has a nice visual on the fundraising of all of the gubernatorial candidates (official accounts and PACs). It shows the money raised in the first half of 2020, and their cash on hand as of June 30.

I can't post the link, but here's the data:

Terry McAuliffe: $1,689,000 raised, $1,594,000 on hand

Jennifer Carroll Foy: $811,000 raised, $696,000 on hand

Jennifer McClellan: $490,000 raised, $411,000 on hand

Amanda Chase: $227,000 raised, $191,000 on hand

Mark Herring: $24,000 raised, $392,000 on hand

Justin Fairfax: $19,000 raised, $85,000 on hand

Bill Carrico: $0 raised, $7,000 on hand.

For me, the big takeaway is that I have do not have to fear Justin Fairfax getting the Dem nomination, even with a split field. While some Dems are willing to tolerate him and invite him to events now, he is not seen as a credible candidate for governor.

McAuliffe hasn't announced though?

Mark Herring having raised 24k $ as a sitting state AG is kind of embarrassing compared to state legislators with little name rec who raised sums up to 30+ times as much.

Yeah, it's a bad look for Herring's chances.

That being said, I think his candidacy has been dead ever since the blackface scandal. In a state with as many potential candidates as Virginia, I think he's vastly overstated his own political profile.

He'd have a decent chance at holding onto the AG spot for at least another term, but his mind is clearly set on the Governor's office. If he stuck around for another 4 years, there's a chance that his efforts as AG could rehabilitate his image.

Instead, he's going to crash and burn out of the Governor's primary, never to be heard of again.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 11:55:00 AM »

VPAP has a nice visual on the fundraising of all of the gubernatorial candidates (official accounts and PACs). It shows the money raised in the first half of 2020, and their cash on hand as of June 30.

I can't post the link, but here's the data:

Terry McAuliffe: $1,689,000 raised, $1,594,000 on hand

Jennifer Carroll Foy: $811,000 raised, $696,000 on hand

Jennifer McClellan: $490,000 raised, $411,000 on hand

Amanda Chase: $227,000 raised, $191,000 on hand

Mark Herring: $24,000 raised, $392,000 on hand

Justin Fairfax: $19,000 raised, $85,000 on hand

Bill Carrico: $0 raised, $7,000 on hand.

For me, the big takeaway is that I have do not have to fear Justin Fairfax getting the Dem nomination, even with a split field. While some Dems are willing to tolerate him and invite him to events now, he is not seen as a credible candidate for governor.

McAuliffe hasn't announced though?

Mark Herring having raised 24k $ as a sitting state AG is kind of embarrassing compared to state legislators with little name rec who raised sums up to 30+ times as much.

Yeah, it's a bad look for Herring's chances.

That being said, I think his candidacy has been dead ever since the blackface scandal. In a state with as many potential candidates as Virginia, I think he's vastly overstated his own political profile.

He'd have a decent chance at holding onto the AG spot for at least another term, but his mind is clearly set on the Governor's office. If he stuck around for another 4 years, there's a chance that his efforts as AG could rehabilitate his image.

Instead, he's going to crash and burn out of the Governor's primary, never to be heard of again.

I could see him drop out and run for governor again if T-Mac makes an entry.

Glad to see Fairfax is doing poorly and Carroll Foy has great numbers. Go, Jennifer!

Yeah, Herring running for re-election to AG is the only way to keep himself afloat politically at this point. Even if Tim Kaine were to resign tomorrow, he couldn't get into the Senate, because the House delegation has too many fresh faces. I have to imagine that Wexton and Spanberger have a far greater chance at appointment/winning a primary than him.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 10:58:07 AM »

McAuliffe is a giant amongst Lilliputians in fund-raising. 

It's hard to see him not being elected.

Aye, I think McAuliffe's definitely the frontrunner, and Herring's probably finished.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies