nuclear energy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:26:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  nuclear energy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: nuclear energy  (Read 5167 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: July 30, 2008, 04:09:20 PM »

With proper safety techniques, yes I support expansion of nuclear power. We have a lot of land in this country and we can locate these plants safely away from populated areas. Transporting waste is the most important problem but we can even mitigate that by allowing for enough space around the plant to store that waste for 50-100 years. By that time the radioactivity will go down and if there was an accident during transportation the effect would be less. Expanding nuclear power will not be easy and many precautions will need to be taken. If we try to run it in the republican unregulated way, I will guarantee you there will be accidents as people put profit before safety.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:14:22 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2008, 04:16:05 PM by sbane »

You think we would have enough space? People are coming in like a swarm of flys. It would be way to crowded. Especially since you have to kick people out to make more room. Now what?

Have you taken a drive through the mojave desert? How about much of the west? We will have to locate these plants in areas where the environmentalists will bitch and moan about but it has to be done. Safety first though.

Edit: How the hell are people coming here in swarms? I think due to immigration our demographics are about the most stable in the world. I could be wrong though but you have to show me proof.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »

Why can't we just use wind,solar,water. Just cause France doe it does not mean we should. It would be very dangerous if something happend. And things always happen.
PiT (The Physicist)
So you want to harm the enviorment?

Wind, solar and water are great complements but they just cannot produce all of our electricity. Nuclear power if extremely powerful and building even a 100 plants would result in enormous amounts of energy. We have more than enough space for these plants too. And how does nuclear power hurt the environment cutie? That "smoke" coming from the chimney is actually water vapor. What are the environmentalists gonna say next " OMGZ THE WORLD IS BECOMING HUMID!!!!!!!!!!!"
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »

Well then what do you do about the people who are born with chemical problems because of that.

Come on do some better research. France produces 80% of its electricity from Nuclear power and they aren't all deformed...... I think.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 04:53:14 PM »

Well a lot of orphans from Russia have that problem so it is not rare.

From near Chernobyl? That would not be surprising. Also I am advocating a level of safety at least a 100 times better than whatever the soviets had.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 10:37:23 PM »

First things first, nuclear energy isn't a long term solution, since peak uranium production is coming before 2030 and subsequent reserves will be scarcer and costlier to access. It's also subject to the same strategic risks as oil.

In the 1970s France even sent air support to help install a dictator in central Africa in exchange for safe uranium supplies at the cost of thousands of lives.

Having said that it's something that should be considered as a bridge. Total energy output is going to decline dramatically within the next ten years and we'll need to accelerate means to find replacements.

I do believe we can use thorium as an alternative. Do believe India will try that soon since they have almost no uranium but plenty of thorium.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 01:27:30 AM »

Total energy output is going to decline dramatically within the next ten years...
Cite?

I think what he meant to say was supply will not keep up with demand. I don't want to put words in his mouth though.....
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies