Midwest/Great Lakes questions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:31:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Midwest/Great Lakes questions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Midwest/Great Lakes questions  (Read 2763 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: March 03, 2017, 05:43:45 PM »

If you're in insurance, you should really consider Columbus.  Minneapolis is wonderful.  Madison is wonderful.  Ann Arbor is lovely (and I say that even as a Spartan).  Grand Rapids has a very nice reputation.  I was born in Fort Wayne; I moved away when I was 4, so I don't personally know much about it, but even by Midwestern standards it has a reputation for being dull.

IMO, though, you can't go wrong, and I'm jealous you have that kind of flexibility!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 09:33:02 PM »

If you're in insurance, you should really consider Columbus.  Minneapolis is wonderful.  Madison is wonderful.  Ann Arbor is lovely (and I say that even as a Spartan).  Grand Rapids has a very nice reputation.  I was born in Fort Wayne; I moved away when I was 4, so I don't personally know much about it, but even by Midwestern standards it has a reputation for being dull.

IMO, though, you can't go wrong, and I'm jealous you have that kind of flexibility!

Columbus is definitely on my list. It has a better economy than Ohio's other big cities, is attracting young people, has a large insurance job market, and is a relatively safe city. Have you been to Columbus before?

Yes, I lived there for two months last summer.  It was excellent!  Very easy to get around, plenty of nice restaurants and bars.  (And dive bars, which are more important than nice bars.)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As someone who's lived in the DC area for almost 5 years, well, lol Wink but, yes, those cities are more expensive than the ones on your list I suppose.  You should actually find a cost of living comparison calculator online to check your intuitions.

EDIT: Oh!  I saw that you indicated that you're interested in taking public transit.  Columbus doesn't have great public transit, but they are rolling out a redesign of their bus system that's similar to one in Houston that increased ridership there.  However, you should know that public transit is just... not a thing in the Midwest anywhere but Chicago (and to a lesser extent, the Twin Cities).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies