What's your accent? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 12:41:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's your accent? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's your accent?  (Read 14384 times)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« on: May 01, 2021, 02:55:17 AM »
« edited: May 01, 2021, 05:19:14 AM by Geoffrey Howe »

I speak with an RP accent. For the UK quiz (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html) I got hotspots on Reading, Cambridge and Tunbridge Wells.

My American map was weird. I am relatively similar to much of New England, but my closest was Rhode Island. Also light yellow for the west coast and strangely Wisconsin. Like other Brits I was oddly similar to Hawaii.

Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 05:15:17 AM »

I speak with an RP accent. For the UK quiz (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html) I got hotspots on Oxford, Cambridge and Tunbridge Wells.

My American map was weird. I am relatively similar to much of New England, but my closest was Rhode Island. Also light yellow for the west coast and strangely Wisconsin. Like other Brits I was oddly similar to Hawaii.

Glad to see another RP-speaker.  Wouldn't want too many ghastly oiks amongst our Brit-posters.

Who are they?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 05:24:48 AM »

I speak with an RP accent. For the UK quiz (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html) I got hotspots on Oxford, Cambridge and Tunbridge Wells.

Glad to see another RP-speaker.  Wouldn't want too many ghastly oiks amongst our Brit-posters.

Who are they?

Those without RP accents of course.
*Adjusts monocle*

À la Jacob Rees-Mogg.

But who are the Brits here without RP accents?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 05:50:38 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2021, 05:55:47 AM by Geoffrey Howe »

À la Jacob Rees-Mogg.

I once had a fairly typical English accent, but once you've lived in Fife, where everyone speaks like this for over a decade, it's mellowed into something generically Scottish.

Well that's fair enough. That part of Scotland has quite a soft accent. I suspect Conservatopia was referring to English posters; which is somewhat ironic given his views on Ms Sturgeon. (Also I don't endorse Conservatopia calling people with a different accent 'oiks')
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 09:38:45 AM »

À la Jacob Rees-Mogg.

I once had a fairly typical English accent, but once you've lived in Fife, where everyone speaks like this for over a decade, it's mellowed into something generically Scottish.

Well that's fair enough. That part of Scotland has quite a soft accent. I suspect Conservatopia was referring to English posters; which is somewhat ironic given his views on Ms Sturgeon. (Also I don't endorse Conservatopia calling people with a different accent 'oiks')

Dude it's a joke - I hope nobody would endorse it.  "Ghastly oik" is the sort of thing a posho (RP) would stereotypically say.  Hence the monocle comment too.  I don't actually have any problem with people having different accents nor do I look down on people with provincial accents.

I seem to recall you making a facetious comment about the accent of Devon too (after I called it "pirate accent").  Outrageous and preposterous!! Wink

In fairness it is often difficult to detect sarcasm in text. Smiley

No no of course I don't seriously think you believe that. Just washing my hands of any blame...
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 02:24:43 PM »

[img width=685

Makes sense, having lived in England for nearly all of my life. The area where I live is not labelled but it is in the darkest choropleth band.

I will say that cat and last are pronounced the same way.

Isn't that more of a northern thing? Or is it found in the West Country?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 02:48:19 AM »

[img width=685

Makes sense, having lived in England for nearly all of my life. The area where I live is not labelled but it is in the darkest choropleth band.

I will say that cat and last are pronounced the same way.

Isn't that more of a northern thing? Or is it found in the West Country?

It is a Northern thing, but that's how I speak.

I was just confused because none of the North was shaded on your map.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies