Student government elections at UConn
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:38:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Student government elections at UConn
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Student government elections at UConn  (Read 1647 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:36:20 AM »

It's been quite a week at UConn. We won the national championship (!), but elections for the Undergraduate Student Government have really hotted up.

The election, conducted last week, returned the following preliminary result:

FOR USG PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT

Sam TRACY and Lindsay CHIAPPA - 1265 - 36.67%
Brian INGMANSON and Ali ALBINI - 1233 - 35.74%
Vijay SEKHARA and Lauren REINMANN - 952 - 27.59%

Sekhara filed a lawsuit after the election had concluded last Friday contesting the election results even though he apparently knew of the violations during the elections and did not come forward with them, which infuriated the other candidates. In the lawsuits, he variously claimed that "chalking" (writing campaign slogans on sidewalks in chalk) had occurred within 100 feet of USG sponsored events, that campaign workers were found changing the homepages of computers at polling places to campaign websites, that flyers were slipped under doors without consent of the room occupants violated "a right to refuse contact" with campaign personnel, that various offenses had occured on official USG events on Facebook, and that the UConn Free Press, a notorious left-wing, radical student magazine, published an issue with a back cover that read "USG says we're not allowed to endorse" and then in bold red font, accompanied by images of the candidates "ENDORSE TRACY AND CHIAPPA,", and then in very small black font, "so we won't." Since the Free Press recieves funding from the university, it is not allowed to make endorsements.

I went to the hearing for Sekhara v Tracy, in which Tracy brought up these points:

Do students have a right not to be contacted at all, not just a right to refuse contact?
What determines spacial boundaries on the Internet?
Is every computer with internet access a "polling station" that cannot display campaign propaganda?
Should candidates be held accountable for every action of their campaign volunteers, sanctioned or not?

You can read the lawsuits and decisions here.

The decisions were rendered last night. Ingmanson and Albini were found guilty of three violations of campaign conduct and were DISQUALIFIED from the election. Tracy and Chiappa were also found guilty of three violations but the USG Supreme Court declined to disqualify them. Sekhara is currently appealing the decision in Sekhara v Tracy, asking that USG throw out the candidacy of Tracy and Chiappa over the Free Press issue. He introduced new evidence that a Mr. S. Sodaro, one of the chief officers of UFP, was a big campaign backer of Tracy and campaigned on his behalf. As it stands now, the election is on a knife edge. USG will likely have to call new elections regardless of what happens, because Sekhara vowed to drop out of the race if both his opponents were disqualified, leaving him as a candidate in a new election sometime in the future against unknown opposition.

Needless to say, I've been busy this week.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »

Ah, I remember my student elections. I loved refused to vote for anyone who was in a frat. Once I voted for a guy just because he belonged to an anti-frat group on Facebook. Frats need to be wiped off the face of the Earth.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »

tl;dr

(With the exception of angus' posts, that would apply to anything this long Wink )
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »

Ugh, I still remember the first election. What a douche.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 06:46:45 PM »

Nice to know that the SFUO isn't the only incompetent pathetic hissyfit student union. Last student government election for university-wide executive spots saw some winner disqualified because of some violation, he threw a hissyfit and cried a river, and his supporters threw together a bitchfest protest at SFUO locales protesting "authoritarianism" before being physically forced out by security. lol. Thankfully, the association for polisci students defederated. I think this means I won't have to pay any more exorbitant fees to a SFUO which is worthless as poop and organizes nothing with my money except a useless concert and stupid bitching campaigns for lower tuition which will never happen.  But nobody really cares since only 5-15% voted. I voted, but I voted based on a) looks of girls who were running b) if they were Francophone. When neither applied, I wrote in George Wallace or Tim James.

But you also have another group of bitchy whiners who are going to court about the U-Pass, a universal transit pass mandatory for all. Those whiners want to make it optional, even though universal U-Pass passed in a referendum and they'll organize another one soon. I hope those idiots living on campus won't ruin my f-ing U-Pass for me, given that the cash-strapped city would love to get rid of it and make us pay $70 for monthly transit passes.

+1 proof that unions are useless bureaucratic money-wasters.
CarlSchulz
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 03:25:53 PM »

My cousin attended UConn a few years back and he told me that these elections are hectic sometimes Tongue
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 05:33:06 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2011, 05:35:59 PM by homelycooking »

My cousin attended UConn a few years back and he told me that these elections are hectic sometimes Tongue

Sure, but I don't think that anyone remembers a candidate who won 1230 votes being disqualified because he slipped some flyers under doors.

Also, here's the infamous back cover of the UFP on which the whole of this election is resting:

Note the "so we won't" at the bottom right. Those clever bastards.

The appeal should be decided early next week.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30:30 PM »

Wow, some people are electing their student unions?

At my university, they are elected by indirect vote, by the "elected" representatives of each departmental student union.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 10:36:56 PM »

I never voted in SU elections; didn't see the point.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 11:52:35 PM »

I have always and will always write-in as my first preference "Abolish Student Government."
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 12:02:49 AM »

I actually ran in University elections once... I hated it... thankfully my ticket barely got anywhere.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 07:40:08 AM »

I have always and will always write-in as my first preference "Abolish Student Government."

I preferred writing-in Fernando Collor and Tim James.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 07:45:54 AM »

Write-ins are impossible at UConn, since the voting is carried out online and no write-in option is given.

Sam Tracy/Lindsay Chiappa were declared the winners. The SSDP/IU/UFP/PIRG left-cartel of pretentious tossers loves it.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 12:10:06 PM »

I ran for Student Government President last month on a platform of getting rid of the student government if elected. I finished 5th with 7% of the vote. The school paper said I won the debate they had a few days before the vote. It was a fun time.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 04:36:57 AM »

My student elections got annuled a couple of days ago due to voter fraud. Not that I care anyways, all the lists running were mere jokes.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 08:32:45 AM »

My student elections got annuled a couple of days ago due to voter fraud. Not that I care anyways, all the lists running were mere jokes.

lol. Good to know that the SFUO isn't spectacularly incompetent compared to others.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies