Should California be allowed to secede from the union? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:58:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should California be allowed to secede from the union? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
Yes (D)
No (D)
Yes (R)
No (R)
Yes (I/O)
No (I/O)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should California be allowed to secede from the union?  (Read 4753 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« on: December 05, 2016, 06:55:36 PM »

I'd still prefer slicing the country into two or three separate nations.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 01:07:13 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2016, 01:09:06 AM by Senator Scott »

Ironically the US GDP would plummet if California left. I doubt very much we would let the blue states secede because the red states are - how to gently put this? - uneducated and less productive compared to the bluer states.

Basically axe NY, CA, and IL and the US would go from a super economy to a second rate one. 

Turn off CA's water from other western states and watch its legendary agricultural sector crater overnight. Independent CA is going to be in for a rough time without Coloradan water.

I'm not sure why state independence would preclude states from trading or cooperating with each other on agriculture, infrastructure, etc.

I could see a dissolved union working in a similar fashion to the EU.  (Whether America would do a better job at maintaining such a system than the Europeans is a huge question mark, of course.)

No. The American civil war settled this.

America is like the mafia. Once you're in, you're in. There's no getting out.

Because that's always the best and most ethical approach to anything. Roll Eyes
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 03:49:34 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2016, 03:52:33 PM by Senator Scott »

I'm all for succession...fly over America routinely insults CA and conservatives use it as an insult despite the enormous economic output it gives to the rest of the country.

The hatred is mutual, in actuality.  And I find myself in a strange place agreeing with conservatives and Trumpites that we are, indeed, "at war."  Think about it.  Different factions of the country totally despise each other.  We have literal militias forming in some states.  Blood is being shed by people fighting for control of their own water supply.  Separatism in the country hasn't been this popular in decades, and the irony to this is that separatism is the only value these these numerous factions share now.  All the while we have a militarized police force and increasing gun ownership rates.  If all this were taking place in the Middle East or southern Europe, the UN would have split everything up by now.  America is going to look like Yugoslavia in ten years.

I have ancestors who fought for this country's independence as well as ancestors who fought to keep the union together (and suppress the KKK).  I understand why people wouldn't want the US to split up, but the supposed willingness of some to preserve this failed experiment at whatever cost, in this era, kind of baffles me, really.  I find it disgusting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies