what useful purpose do republicans serve? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:00:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  what useful purpose do republicans serve? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what useful purpose do republicans serve?  (Read 11186 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: December 27, 2004, 09:39:50 PM »

The only issue WalterMitty agrees with Democrats on from what I can tell is gay marriage, and that's only if you accept the position that Democrats are for gay marriage, which they don't.

i oppose the death penalty.
i oppose the republicans never ending attempts to push religion on everyone (although im not as extreme as opebo)
i support affirmative action
i support gun control. (to a reasonable extent)
i oppose school vouchers

And you think that Massachusetts is a great state filled with great people.  I think that puts you at odds with most Republicans. Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 06:05:16 PM »

The only problem is J-Mann's first point, which I think is a good one.  There are an awful lot of versions of creationism and to leave even a single one out is to be discriminatory to that religion and to not tell every possible possibility.  I think it would be much easier to teach evolution in science classes and leave creation to comparative religion classes.

From a practical standpoint, I would almost prefer if the origination of life were left out of school altogether. The last thing that we need to go teaching adolescents is that they are descendants of apes and that they are not special in the eyes of an almighty God. Maybe evolution is best left to a post-adolescent curriculum.

I would disagree with this.  I learned about evolution in junior high school and I didn't connect the dots to conclude that I'm not special in the eyes of an almighty god.  That idea is not really mutually exclusive with the theory of evolution.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 06:03:27 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2004, 06:04:59 AM by Senator-Elect Gabu »

As for the matter of "which creation to teach", the United States is a Judeo-Christian nation, no matter how the secularists try to spin it.

It's not a "Judeo-Christian nation," it's a nation that happens to have the majority of its citizens as Jews or Christians.  Only three of the ten commandments are part of American law (don't steal, don't kill, and don't lie), and they're no-brainers.  I don't know of any other parts of the Bible in American law.

If you want to bring up the religions of the Founding Fathers, their religions are both in debate and wholly irrelevant to this question.

Even if it was a Judeo-Christian nation, that's no reason to teach something from Christianity to the exclusion to all other religions.  If we're going to teach something purely because it relates best to the majority, we might as well exclude all of the stuff from history that includes black people, since the majority of Americans are white.

Besides, the Genesis acount of Creation is the only one to which there were made significant scientific investigation and modeling to demonstrate it scientifically.

What "significant scientific investigation" has been done regarding the Genesis account of creation?  There's nothing to investigate, unless we can somehow find the Garden of Eden or something.  Creation doesn't predict that anything should happen that we can then test.

Evolution is weakening Christian kids allover the world. IF they are told every day at school: "Evolution is true. The Bible is wrong", how do you think they are going to get to Sunday school and study the Bible properly?

Uh, what teacher says "The Bible is wrong" when teaching evolution?  If there is a teacher saying that, he or she should be fired immediatley.  There is absolutely nothing in evolution that specifically says that the Bible is wrong.  The idea that evolution should be banned because it's anti-Christian is ridiculous.

Kids can learn about the theory of evolution in school and then learn about the theory of creation in Sunday school.  Unless you want Sunday schools to start teaching evolution, why should public schools teach creation?  Creationism is a fundamentally unscientific topic and, as such, should not be taught in a science class.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies