Long-Term Negative Consequence of the "Reagan Revolution"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:15:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Long-Term Negative Consequence of the "Reagan Revolution"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Long-Term Negative Consequence of the "Reagan Revolution"?  (Read 7698 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« on: August 16, 2005, 10:03:56 AM »

Reagan really divided America, more so than anyone before him.

How? Please elaborate.

He was loved by 60% and hated by 40%...Carter was hated by 99% but that's different, he was a bad president. Reagan is held by many as the best president ever, and ebcause of his divisive qualities, his Approval ratings neve rclimbed above 60%.

Actually, he 65% around November of 1986, and something like 80% had a favorable opinion of him personally. So I don't think you can say he was 'hated.'

A significant portion of the country also hated FDR.

The country is a lot less polarized today than in, say, 1920.

I don't think Clinton caused the polarization of America that affects us today.  Nor do I believe Reagan did.  The culture wars may have played a part.  The advent of 24-hour news networks and talk radio became a showcase for bias on either side (though much more so with conservatives on talk radio).  I think that the spinning and skewed opinions from both helped divide the country.  Another cause of division is the increasing early coverage of presidential elections.  Think about it:  it's been less than a year since the 2004 election and everybody is already talking about 2008!  This would have been unthinkable fifty years ago.  The networks should stop trying to cover a permanent presidential campaign and report news other than politics. 

No one person is to blame for this division in our country.  And as A18 points out, it could be worse.  In the '20s, the Klan was enjoying a renaissance, and voters would not even think about voting for Al Smith because they believed the Pope would control the White House.  In 1856, Sen. Charles Sumner of Massachussetts was beaten with a cane by Rep. Preston Brooks of South Carolina just for speaking in opposition to slavery.  At least we don't have Barbara Boxer and Marilyn Musgrave getting into catfights or Tom Coburn and Ted Kennedy trading punches at the Capitol. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies