A Harry Potter Atlas Game? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:29:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Harry Potter Atlas Game? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Harry Potter Atlas Game?
Global Wizarding War

The First Wizarding War

The Return of Dark Magic

Terrible Idea

Good Ideas, Other Options

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: A Harry Potter Atlas Game?  (Read 1055 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: January 26, 2018, 02:15:26 AM »

(If the movies are taken as canon), then there's no way the number is nearly as low as you claim. (And even if they aren't, you could still make the case)

1. The sheer number of wizards working at the Ministry (I think this speaks for itself)

2. The attendance numbers of the Quidditch World Cup. At the very least, there are 100K in that stadium. Britain makes up about 1% of the world population, so it is reasonable to assume wizards are in similar numbers. In this case, however, Britain is the host, meaning their proportion would likely be much larger. Finally, it's stated that World Cup tickets are expensive and mostly only the extremely rich can get their hands on them. Personally, I'd expect the wizarding population of Britain to be at least 100,000.

3. The schools issue:

So, hear me out. Was it ever actually said that Beauxbatons, Durmstrang, and Hogwarts were the only wizarding schools in Europe, or just the best wizarding schools? If it's the latter, then it opens up possibilities. If these are the "Ivy League" of Wizarding Europe, then it's very possible that there are many smaller, less prestigious schools dotting Europe and Britain.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:52:40 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2018, 03:56:05 PM by Joe Sestak 2020 »

My problem with that is this: if there are indeed only 9 wizard info schools in the world, and by Leonardo's estimate, they sustain a population of 2500-3000 each, there is no way that stadium could be filled with 100,000 wizards. Even if we were to assume that the average school wasfour times as large as Hogwarts, to fill the stadium, nearly the entire wizarding population would need to be there. And, as has been said before, tickets were not exactly cheap.

The only feasible way I could see would be that Britain has a specific reason its wizard density is lower than elsewhere (if it wasn't, then there would only be like 250K wizards worldwide, and I don't exactly think 40% of world wizards would have been there), causing them to only need the one major school while other countries do have minor schools. Perhaps due to some sort of persecution in the past that occurred in Britian and a few other countries only?)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:57:48 AM »

For starting figures I say we take a couple of liberties.

1. Harry's Class of 1998 is 60% smaller than the average Hogwarts class, which would then have 100 students. This is not entirely out of sync with Rowling's "about a thousand" comment, as there would be about 700 students on average.

2. Given this number and the lifespan of wizards, I believe this could account for up to 6000-8000 wizards in Britain.

3. Between Voldemort, Grindelwald, and being ruled by a Christian government during the Middle Ages, we can say that wizards make up less of Britain than they do of the world; thus, British wizards make up less than 0.8% of the world wizarding community.

These aren't perfect, but I think they serve as a good starting point for our game.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies