Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:46:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 391432 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2010, 09:31:02 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Rep. Hantheguitarman

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill shall extend until atleast Sunday, June 13th, 10:30 PM unless the debate period is shortened or extended in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Rep. Hantheguitarman, has the floor.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »

We will now hold a vote on the Prisoner Diet Reform Act. Representatives have 24 hours to vote.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2010, 09:34:23 PM »

Aye.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »

With three ayes, one nay, and three unexcused absences the Prisoner Diet Reform Act goes to the Governor's desk for his signature or veto.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »

I vote that we hold an emergency assembly to deal with recent happenings, as the old assembly has phased out and the elections have still not been certified.

Are you even a member of the Assembly?

He's not - or atleast, not yet.

However, I don't think we have the authority to convene an emergency Assembly. We should ask the CJO to make haste with the results.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2010, 09:03:45 PM »

There isn't time to vote yet. After candidates have declared, the Lieutenant Governor opens the vote for Speaker.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2010, 07:28:02 PM »

Just an FYI guys, this is something I missed as Speaker, unfortunately.

link

Whether you wish to amend the SOAP or have Lt. Governor Fezzyfestoon create a new thread is your prerogative.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2010, 07:05:47 PM »

I don't support this bill. I believe that increasing the minimum wage will hurt small businesses who are already struggling to pay their employees and make ends meet. Small businesses are doing everything they can to stay afloat, and do we really want to make their lives harder? Increasing the minimum wage will hurt the economy, cause a rise in unemployment, and will exacerbate the problems it was meant to destroy.

Aside from an ideological difference with this bill, there are practical and legal matters that conflict with this bill. The first problem, that we have a huge deficit, and it would be irresponsible to expand the deficit through tax cuts right now, lest we create a bigger deficit and mortgage our children's future. The second problem, is that this bill directly conflicts with already established law.

link

In other words, we can't unilaterally increase the Northeast minimum wage. We must set our minimum wage equal to the Federal minimum wage. That is the law.

I shall be voting nay on this bill (no offense, Representative Sargent), and I hope the rest of the Northeast Assembly will do the same.

I agree with most of this statement. By increasing the minimum wage, especially by 5%, small businesses will really suffer the most out of all of this. As most of us know, the Northeast has a very lage small business block. If this were to pass, we would be killing the dreams and incomes of a lot of hard working people of this region.

As someone who works for a "Small business" that can barely make ends meet, I have to third this. Any one of my friends that works for a big chain starts off with atleast fifty-cents greater than the minimum wage - this strikes a blow to the gut of small business.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2010, 07:09:25 PM »

The small businesses also get a tax cut in my proposal that would offset the extra costs that they would incur(though this current bill is poorly written). My intent is on a bill that would be cost neutral for the small businesses. I won't sign a bill that doesn't do that.

Could it perhaps be a carrot instead of a stick?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2010, 09:13:26 PM »

The small businesses also get a tax cut in my proposal that would offset the extra costs that they would incur(though this current bill is poorly written). My intent is on a bill that would be cost neutral for the small businesses. I won't sign a bill that doesn't do that.

Could it perhaps be a carrot instead of a stick?

Well what do you have in mind?

I have no power in the Assembly any more, but perhaps it would just be a "voluntary" mechanism? (Paying an employee X% greater than the minimum wage in exchange for X% tax-cut) Perhaps that could be used by employers to incentivize workers to work harder.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2010, 09:28:40 PM »

I'm honored.

I accept, so long as I'm not forbidden to serve as a Senator and a Delegate at the same time.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2010, 01:13:37 AM »

When will the special election be held for SoIA Winston Disraeli's seat?

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2010, 10:46:41 PM by Dallasfan65 »

Just putting this out there in advance (since Fezzy may open up for declarations while I'm at work tomorrow) I intend to run for Speaker.

Good to be here, looks like we got some work ahead of us.

Smiley
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2010, 05:18:05 PM »

Since it's Tuesday... Tongue

We need a Northeast Legislation Introduction Thread, created by the Lt. Gov, to get the ball rolling.

No rush Wink
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2010, 09:09:35 PM »

Fezzy? Tongue
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2010, 09:15:17 PM »

I would love to introduce such proposals immediately, but I'd like us to discuss a few things before we do so...

• Whether we should have five Representatives or six
  • Whether the Lieutenant Governorship should be abolished
  • Probably establish a new list of succession if we do the above
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2010, 09:31:13 PM »

I would love to introduce such proposals immediately, but I'd like us to discuss a few things before we do so...

Chiming in, I think it is vital that y'all reduce the number of Representatives. One thing ailing this region is the lack of competitive elections. Another thing to consider is completely eliminate the CJO and delegate those duties back to the Governor. If you decide on 6 Representatives, the Lt. Governor can serve to break ties and can also serve as the Speaker of the Assembly.

I'd personally be more inclined to abolish the Lieutenant Governorship than the CJO.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2010, 09:43:48 PM »

Chiming in, I think it is vital that y'all reduce the number of Representatives. One thing ailing this region is the lack of competitive elections. Another thing to consider is completely eliminate the CJO and delegate those duties back to the Governor. If you decide on 6 Representatives, the Lt. Governor can serve to break ties and can also serve as the Speaker of the Assembly.

I'd personally be more inclined to abolish the Lieutenant Governorship than the CJO.

Well, from what I've seen, you all have struggled with inactive CJO's, which has caused election day problems. Don't continue doing what isn't working, and right now, the CJO position isn't working out well. I'd actually recommend cutting both, but that would be taking drastic measures, and I'm sure not many of you would be ready to cut government officials that much. Wink

The Governor also has authority to ratify results, to my knowledge.

The Lieutenant Governor can serve as the Speaker, but a sort of informal "mold" has been set where the Lieutenant Governor leaves the duties to the Speaker. The CJO should be a good legal mind, and leaving regional lawsuits to the Governor's discretion might not be the best idea. The only inactive CJO that I can recall is Mr. Moderate - Rowan was decent, but resigned.

I do think measures of changing the CJO - firing or reconfirming, ought to be discussed.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2010, 09:54:51 PM »

Maybe make it an elected position, so that hopefully the person that does it will be active?

I'm a bit reluctant to do that at this juncture, though if we have a string of inactive CJO's it might come to that.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »

I believe Han has authority to open up nominations for, and hold the vote for Speaker:

Quote from: Restricted

I strongly encourage him to do so, and hope my colleagues feel the same way.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »

I shall run for Speaker.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2010, 04:49:04 PM »

Speaker of the Assembly:
[X] Dallasfan65
[  ] Write-in: __________
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2010, 07:57:55 PM »

Thank you, Governor. The gavel feels every bit as good as she used to. Grin

We shall move onto our first piece of legislation - an amendment.

Sponsor: Rep. Dallasfan65 (on behalf of the Governor)

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least November 11th, 7:57 PM unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The sponsor, Dallasfan65, has the floor.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2010, 08:07:29 PM »

Alright, well.

I'm supportive of this bill.

However, with an odd number, this limits even further the office of the Lieutenant Governor.

I'm in favor of abolishing the Lieutenant Governorship altogether - though that may require other work on re-working the line of succession, and whom presides over the Assembly - something I'm willing to lead on.

Before I push for any of that, I want to hear from my fellow Representatives, and concerned Northeast citizens, though.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2010, 08:38:10 PM »

I'm against this, for entirely self-interested reasons (I was the 8th one elected!)

If it becomes an issue, I'll bow out of the first race this takes effect to increase your chances. Tongue

And, guys, how do you feel about the Lt Govship? Axe it, or leave it as is?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies