Post-Roe v. Wade and the 2022 midterms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:57:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Post-Roe v. Wade and the 2022 midterms
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Post-Roe v. Wade and the 2022 midterms  (Read 514 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2021, 09:44:33 AM »

Let’s say that the Supreme Court issues a ruling that allows states to highly regulate or ban abortion and that there is no Constitutional right to have an abortion.

How do Republican Senators in purple and light red seats position themselves? Do they advocate for a federal ban on abortion in all states? Or do they think they will be fine advocating for protecting their state’s right to ban abortion? Or something in the middle, advocating for national restrictions on abortion that would restrict access in pro-choice states but not actually ban it?

I am curious how much they will be pushed to a maximal stance of advocating for federal anti-abortion legislation and how that will affect races.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 10:43:24 AM »

Probably no impact in 2022 and 2024, but it will impact Donald Trump’s second midterm election in 2026.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 11:02:56 AM »

I suppose we’re heading to “we want to ban abortion nationwide but the filibuster won’t let us, elect more Republican senators.”
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 05:58:03 PM »

I suppose we’re heading to “we want to ban abortion nationwide but the filibuster won’t let us, elect more Republican senators.”

I will be so pissed if the Republicans are the ones who wind up ending the filibuster instead. I don't know if that will vindicate Manchin and Sinema or implicate them more. I'm leaning towards the latter because if Democrats got rid of it we would at least have been able to pass legislation to weaken the negative effects of a future, filibusterless, Republican Majority such as DC and Puerto Rican statehood, voting reforms, etc.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 11:46:23 AM »

If that happened they probably try as hard as possible to not talk to reporters like the way they have for the last four years when asked about all of Trump's shenanigans.  When pinned down they give some vague answer about how we should wait and see what happens because SCOTUS ruling something doesn't mean states will do anything, yada yada. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies