Census 2020 apportionments to be released by April 30; redistricting by Sept 30 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:15:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Census 2020 apportionments to be released by April 30; redistricting by Sept 30 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Census 2020 apportionments to be released by April 30; redistricting by Sept 30  (Read 3101 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: January 28, 2021, 09:12:16 AM »

Why did Biden stop the CVAP numbers? Was there fear that SCOTUS would allow that data to be used for apportionment purposes? I think that you had informed me the CVAP numbers out there are stale and very inaccurate in some places. Without good numbers, how can you get the the Goldilocks point that makes you a good VRA warrior?

The Census Bureau already has to figure out the total population based on 67% self-response and the remaining 33% coming from often dubious efforts to count people, so how should they produce a citizen-only population if citizenship wasn’t even part of the questionnaire ?

Data on non-citizens is very limited and can only be produced by the annual ACS, which is a survey of a few hundred thousand households and no complete enumeration.

All of this is more reason for the US to adopt a CVSR.

What does CVSR stand for?  What is it?

A CVSR is a Central Vital Statistics Registry that most European countries have (in Austria, it’s the ZMR/PSR).

Once people get born, their data is entered immediately (incl. citizenship and place of main residence), when they move it is registered and when they die it is registered.

With such an up-to-date registry you can conduct a census every year at 1/10th the cost of a traditional census (or even less costly).

Worth noting such a registry is far from infallible. Many of my friends live in the mainland, in places like Madrid or Barcelona; yet they remain registered in the Canaries for various reasons (most notably, flight discounts to come home)

While you are meant to register at your new house, and a majority of people do it, there is a minority who moves without changing the registration
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 12:36:21 PM »

These population registers therefore allow for a more competent census.

In Spain, it's pretty much the same thing as here, but I guess Spain still uses the traditional census despite having a national population register as well.

It's also easier for elections: with a CPR, you can easily screen for every voting-age and voting-eligible person in the country, who are then automatically registered to vote.

Yeah, this is all correct, I guess you are right

For the record, like you say Spain does do a more traditional census as well I think

However it is worth noting that Spain's apportionments get done by the CPR based off your registration, which update on a yearly basis. This is also why reapportionment here happens basically every time an election gets called. And like you say, it also allows for automatic voter registration at whichever adress you are registered on.

This does create some niche scenarios where people who move shortly before election day have a hard time figuring out where they have to vote but I guess it's a very small number of cases.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies