Opinion of Rfayette (read quote before answering) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:39:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Rfayette (read quote before answering) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is he a freedom fighter or a horrible person (read quote before answering)
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Opinion of Rfayette (read quote before answering)  (Read 4842 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« on: May 10, 2016, 03:52:10 PM »

I understand that.  I'm not exactly opposed to fewer people voting, especially when a lot of those folks who are unable to put in the time/energy to get an ID happen to be Democrats.  Plenty of liberals on here (and AAD) cheer when they know changing demographics (and immigration from other countries) mean more liberal voters, so I support laws that help conservatives at the polls.  Personally, I think re-instating some kind of poll tax would be just fine by me.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 12:38:32 AM »

First, the context of the quote is in that many folks here (who happen to be Democrats) have gotten extremely giddy over favorable demographic trends for Democrats, such as the re-enfranchisement of felons, post-1965 immigration laws, etc.    It was also in response to absolute fawning over President Obama, which gets under my skin.  When people start treating the man like he's some kind of demigod, it definitely provokes me into saying things I otherwise would not. Many even suggested ideas like bringing all the Syrian refugees to swing states, "maintaining population balance" by deporting white males for every immigrant let in, etc. I was going the other way with it and see what the reaction would be.  No one believes in a truly universal franchise (no one thinks death row inmates or 5-year-olds should vote), I was just floating the idea that maybe some more restrictions on voting isn't such a bad idea.

That being said, a poll tax is unconstitutional and would obviously never happen, and I know this. Tongue  Was it trolling?  Partially.  The goal was definitely to get a rise out of people, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a more R-friendly electorate.  That would be an, err, extreme way to do it.  I suppose if someone thinks a voter ID equals a poll tax, then I suppose it would be a $25 poll tax or something.  I would never back a $1000 poll tax or something that would be too large of an expense though....that would be insane.

Yeah, it's almost like you couldn't click on the link with the quote to actually find out your context.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies