Starting to like the sound of President Pawlenty...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:46:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Starting to like the sound of President Pawlenty...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Starting to like the sound of President Pawlenty...  (Read 2182 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2005, 12:28:25 PM »

Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty is up for re-election, and is rather popular, and will probably win in 2006. If so, this could gear Governor Pawlenty up for the 2008 Republican Nomination. Karl Rove has recently traveled to Minnesota to help Pawlenty in his re-election bid for Governor.

Today, on a political forum, I came up with an electoral map of a possible matchup. If Governor Pawlenty runs, he basically pulls all the Bush 2004 states, plus New Hampshire, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. This would bring the GOP 310 electoral votes, and if Pawlenty could even pull Pennsylvania, then that would be 331 Electoral votes, and a considered landslide for the Republican party.

Pawlently is conseravtive enough to get the nomination, and even a man in Minnesota has begun making Tim Pawlenty 2008 shirts LOL. He will be 48 years old in 2008, and quite frankly, he can beat almost any democrat they run. Could Tim Pawlenty be the dark horse that nobody expects, and become the 44th President of the United States?

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 12:39:24 PM »

Pawlenty pulls the states you mentioned against Clark.  Thats what the previous thread was discussing... A Clark vs Pawlenty matchup.  Against a formidable Democratic ticket like, Warner/Lincoln, Bayh/Lincoln, or Bayh/Feingold, he could lose all of those states you mentioned, plus some.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 12:43:04 PM »

I couldn't find any polls showing Pawlenty's approval rating recently. I think I recall it being as low as 40% and as high as 65%.

EDIT: His approval rating is 56% as of 3/13/05
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 12:50:12 PM »

His approval rating yo-yos, based on wehther or not he's under fire for pissing some group off at the moment. He is far from extremely popular, and has a good 45% of the state very pissed off at him and won't be voting for him under any circumstances, much like Bush. Of course that didn't do Bush in so he could win, but even the state GOP admits he'll have a tough reelection battle against Attorney General Mike Hatch, probably the most popular statewide elected official. And he didn't top 50% in his first election. In fact, he didn't even break 45%.

For the most part I think of him as a cheap political opportunist who likes to raise a fit on wedge issues while ignoring things of actual importance. See death penalty and gay marriage ban bills the DFL Senate killed. The GOP were hoping to rely on these wedge issues to get themselves some midterm gains. Ooops, they only lost 13 House seats and almost control of the House. that probably gave him some hard sweating.

I'll admit though, he makes more sense than Coleman. At least he has the distinction of being very complacent to the agenda of the extremist Minnesota Taxpayers League, unlike Coleman, who is completely worthless. But even if he wins reelection, a guy who didn't even win 45% on his first term, and can only get about 51% or so in a very divided politically state who's unable to push most of his agenda through (google "Cheri Yecke") is hardly a dream candidate.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 01:06:11 PM »

He has some potential but certainly isn't at the top of the list. But in any case he's not a true dark horse because there are only a few identifiable candidates well ahead of him at this point.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 01:27:03 PM »

I know very little about him but his wife looks pretty hot in that picture.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 01:54:11 PM »

I agree.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 02:37:33 PM »

Pawlenty would be a good candidate, but certainly not undefeatable.  Plus, he has to win re-election first, which is hardly guaranteed either.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 08:36:07 AM »

My thoughts on Pawlenty:

I like him going head-to-head with Bush on importing prescription drugs from Canada. "Show me the dead Canadians."

I somewhat like him looking into state-sponsored gambling.

I dislike him trying to reinstate the death penalty.

I dislike him flat-out refusing to cut spending or raise taxes (one or the other really should be done).

Overall, I'd say I like him more than the average Republican.

I'd choose Pawlently over Bayh, Warner or any Republican with a chance in 2004. Of course, I'm a 3rd party supporter, so this vote of confidence means nothing.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 09:22:10 AM »

I'd choose Pawlently over Bayh, Warner or any Republican with a chance in 2004. Of course, I'm a 3rd party supporter, so this vote of confidence means nothing.

Join the few . . . the proud . . . and the growing in numbers.  Smiley
MissCatholic

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 09:43:46 AM »

A Pawlenty/Guiliani ticket could be interesting against the democrats. But i still think that Pawlenty would find it tough to win Minnnesota if the democrats have a good candidate.
Bob Dole '96
mpirner
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 11:58:47 PM »

I still think we are in deep doo-doo without Jeb, but Pawlenty is the one governor who I think could rise up and surprise.  I need to see more of him before making a firm judgement though.

He would be a great VP choice, if Jeb ran.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 03:39:13 AM »

I still think we are in deep doo-doo without Jeb, but Pawlenty is the one governor who I think could rise up and surprise.  I need to see more of him before making a firm judgement though.

He would be a great VP choice, if Jeb ran.

Too much Bush Fatigue.  No Jeb.  Pawlenty might do pretty well, but its really hard to say.  If he doesn't win re-election (which is probably 50/50 at this point) he has no chance in hell.  If he does win re-election and gets the nomination he could really help the GOP in the Midwest, especially if the Dem candidate is from the NorthEast.  If the Dem candidate is from the midwest (Like Feingold or Bayh) Pawlentey's appeal towards the midwest would pretty much be taken away & it could make it really tough for him to carry his own state
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 09:56:22 AM »

Pawlenty is too much of a maverick for the Republicans (as in he thinks for himself). They want somebody who just does what Dick Cheney or some other Republican tells them to do.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2005, 11:25:12 PM »

Pawlenty is too much of a maverick for the Republicans (as in he thinks for himself). They want somebody who just does what Dick Cheney or some other Republican tells them to do.

That's B.S. if I've ever heard it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 10:01:32 AM »

That's B.S. if I've ever heard it.

No you see FuturePrez, the Republican nominee has to be in the pocket of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy!  It all makes sense!
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 09:09:17 PM »

LOL, I just liked the comment about doing what Dick Cheney tells him to do when Cheney has publicly disagreed with his boss' support for a constitutional amendment for gay marriage.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies