Perry County, Indiana (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:29:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Perry County, Indiana (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Perry County, Indiana  (Read 11458 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: February 12, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »

The spike in JFK support suggests German Catholic to me. I googled Perry, and could not find anything to explain its relative Dem love myself. The voting block can be quite volatile. They make the Fox River Valley in Wisconsin quite volatile, along with Dubuque in Iowa. German Protestants in general tend to be quite Pub as others have noted.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:31:39 PM »

This is one of the best threads ever on the Atlas that I have seen. So much thought, so much knowledge, so much research, about a little county ignored everywhere but here, that is an interesting outlier. Thanks. It is almost worth a white paper.

I just felt the "need" to say this.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 11:20:16 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2013, 11:44:47 PM by Torie »

The descendants of German Protestants in the USA are going to be so heavily intermarried with WASPs and in the Upper Midwest with Scandinavians, and are just such a milquetoast ethnicity, as to be almost unspottable even though actually one of the largest population groups in the US. They have no cohesion as a group.

WWII did a lot to kill German qua German identity in the US. After the films came out about the death camps, German bars, and so forth closed, so said a client of mine who was of German ancestry from Milwaukee. Many he said in his conservative Germanic circles in Wisconsin, were rather pro Hitler behind closed doors, until it was impossible to deny the horrific genocide, and that something in German culture itself needed needed to be seriously pondered.  It is unimaginable to me, that even early in the Hitler years, when he was shooting folks right and left who were political opponents, and bragging about it, the German establishment appreciated the ends of a more "orderly" society, rather than the means of a total abandonment of the rule of law, in favor of the rule of a madman. I just can't imagine that would have happened in a common law Anglosphere nation. Maybe I am naive.

But long after one loses a sense of ethnicity, or jettisons it in the manner described above, the attitudes carry on without an ethnic label. Attitudes have long half lives.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies