Now that Conner is going to go away, what about Stevens?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:57:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Now that Conner is going to go away, what about Stevens?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Now that Conner is going to go away, what about Stevens?  (Read 3234 times)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2005, 10:58:41 AM »

stevens is a great justice.  he is actually commited to civil rights and civil liberties.

Mitty...that statement makes less sense than most of v0031's posts...
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 11:04:14 AM »

stevens is a great justice.  he is actually commited to civil rights and civil liberties.

Mitty...that statement makes less sense than most of v0031's posts...

Only if you are opposed to civil rights and civil liberties.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2005, 11:08:53 AM »

I don't support judges making up civil rights/liberties based on their own subjective preferences.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2005, 11:10:40 AM »

I don't support judges making up civil rights/liberties based on their own subjective preferences.

Be they conservative, liberal or 'swing'?

Dave
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2005, 11:17:03 AM »

I don't care what their preferences are. Lochner v. New York and Lawrence v. Texas both advanced policies I like, and they were both bunk rulings.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2005, 11:17:52 AM »

Dave

The Judicial branch isn't suppose to create "anything" on any level.  Their job it is to make sure the Legislative branch doesn't create anything unconsitutional.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2005, 02:22:03 PM »

Dave

The Judicial branch isn't suppose to create "anything" on any level.  Their job it is to make sure the Legislative branch doesn't create anything unconsitutional.

I agree that judges should not legislate from the bench (i.e. in having their own political agenda).

As far as 'unconsitutional' legislation goes that's a matter to be resolved by the electorate. If they don't like the legislation, then they can vote their legislators out. First and foremost, I cherish democracy

Dave
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2005, 04:17:13 PM »

As far as 'unconsitutional' legislation goes that's a matter to be resolved by the electorate. If they don't like the legislation, then they can vote their legislators out. First and foremost, I cherish democracy

Dave

That's the nice thing about our Constitution:  something is unconstitutional until we amend it to make it constitutional.  Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2005, 04:19:53 PM »

Why not?  More civil rights and liberties are always a good thing.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2005, 04:37:59 PM »

He really should.  WalterMitty is a very decent fellow - better than a lot of the theocrats we have calling themselves Democrats (emsworth, prude caldwell, Ebowed, etc.).
I'm a theocrat? Ha!

Stevens is the same Justice who ruled that flag burning is not constitutionally protected speech. He argued, if Congress can prohibit the desecration of the Washington Monument, then it can prohibit the desecration of the flag. Frankly, any person who seriously makes such an argument should never have been placed on the Supreme Court.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2005, 04:40:25 PM »

He really should.  WalterMitty is a very decent fellow - better than a lot of the theocrats we have calling themselves Democrats (emsworth, prude caldwell, Ebowed, etc.).
I'm a theocrat? Ha!

Absolutely, one of the worst.

Stevens is the same Justice who ruled that flag burning is not constitutionally protected speech. He argued, if Congress can prohibit the desecration of the Washington Monument, then it can prohibit the desecration of the flag. Frankly, any person who seriously makes such an argument should never have been placed on the Supreme Court.
[/quote]

He's still enormously better than all of the conservative justices, emsworth.  You seem to have no sense of an overall career, and nitpick one little decision.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2005, 04:43:09 PM »

Wow, you have terrible views on justices.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2005, 04:46:24 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2005, 04:55:47 PM by A18 »

Wow, you have terrible views on justices.

Change your avatar to Republican immediately.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2005, 04:49:45 PM »

Considering that I am not religious, I hardly see how that is possible. Nor do I seek to enforce "morality" in society, although I am compelled to admit that the Constitution does not contain any prohibition on such laws.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2005, 04:51:14 PM »

Considering that I am not religious, I hardly see how that is possible. Nor do I seek to enforce "morality" in society, although I am compelled to admit that the Constitution does not contain any prohibition on such laws.

There you go.  You have in that last sentence completely turned the country over to the theocrats.

I suppose if you are not a theocrat yourself, you are an abettor of theocrats, because of your trashing of the constitution.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies