Favorite French Revolutionaries? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:47:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Favorite French Revolutionaries? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Favorite French Revolutionaries?  (Read 5239 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 09, 2015, 04:10:09 PM »

isn't the French Revolution (along w/ the British industrial revolution) of such a massive gravity that it is impossible to assess whether its consequences were ultimately "favorable to society"?  it's kind of like asking, has Plato had a positive effect on philosophy?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 07:47:52 PM »

Nah. Compared to those two examples the French Revolution is overrated and not in the same league.

It's interesting isn't it? We used to think that the French Revolution was the central event in the creation of modernity and that subsequent history could not be understood without some reference to its legacy. We now know that we were looking at the telescope through the wrong end: the Revolution had a larger impact on the writing of history than it did on history itself. It's no coincidence that the (ongoing) crisis in the historiography of the French Revolution began at the same time as the (ongoing) existential crisis in the Historical profession.

since you're more up on these things than I am: could you point me to some current historians/historiographers who are central to this 'crisis of the Historical profession', and how this connects with arguments that the impact of the French Revolution has been repeatedly overstated?

the only real reading/study I've done on the subject is Hobsbawm, who of course sees both the "British industrial revolution" (which he dates to the 1780s) and the French Revolution (dated from 1789 all the way through 1815) as the two cataclysmic events that would come to define modernity: the former in modes of production and the latter in state and political formation, law codes, etc.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:27:16 PM »

thanks for the well-thought out response.  gives me plenty to chew on.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies