How Have PhDs voted in Past Elections? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:18:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How Have PhDs voted in Past Elections? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Have PhDs voted in Past Elections?  (Read 1216 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« on: October 25, 2020, 05:05:32 PM »
« edited: October 25, 2020, 05:10:13 PM by 413 »

The PhD electorate are "postgraduates" after you cut out all the MDs, JDs, MBAs and other non-academic degrees.  There's also going to be a heavy bias towards folks working in academia/research among PhDs that is less pronounced in the larger "postgraduate" demographic.  

Men still outnumber women in PhD graduates.  In the STEM fields there's also going to be a heavy bias toward Asian immigrants.  All in all, I'd say that PhDs were probably Republican leaning up until the 1960s but have since become a reliably Democratic group.  The admission of MDs/JDs/MBAs would move this group considerably to the right, however.  

Probably not on the bolded. There are far more JDs (about 1.3 million) than MDs (about 600,000) and I believe than MBAs (but couldn't find data on number of holders), and JDs are a very strongly Democratic group (as I recall, polling by the ABA in 2016 suggested JD holders were voting more than 80% for Clinton - can't find the source right now). I do agree that MDs are about evenly split, and MBAs should be fairly Republican.

Donation information is easier to find; lawyers and law firms donated $34.6 million to Hillary Clinton in 2016 and just $942,000 to Trump (plus a bunch more to other Republican primary candidates, but still way less than the Clinton total in aggregate).

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/business-and-practice/how-much-money-did-lawyers-contribute-to-the-presidential-election/

This all aligns with my anecdotal experience of working as a lawyer, too, which is that Republican lawyers, even at the highest income levels ($1m+ annually), are a relatively small minority.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies