Mitt Romney: Getting called the "grandfather of Obamacare" is a "compliment"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:10:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt Romney: Getting called the "grandfather of Obamacare" is a "compliment"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Mitt Romney: Getting called the "grandfather of Obamacare" is a "compliment"  (Read 6832 times)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2012, 12:54:43 AM »

"That's the solution. 2 Americas."

Interesting. A call for secession.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2012, 02:03:45 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2012, 02:07:40 AM by Politico »

So, Politico believes Joe Manchin can run as a liberal democrat in 2016 and he'd not be a flip-flopper. WV is a conservative state, so you have to be a conservative Governor. Buuut you can have a liberal plan for the entire USA at the same time. I'm sure democrats would love that.

I'm sure there are many people who support death penalty in conservative states and are against it in liberal ones. Obama should make same-sex marriage legal only in blue states. That's the solution. 2 Americas. Or 3. Or 4.

It is not unreasonable for a governor of a state to believe that what their state wants, or what their state can afford, is not necessarily the same for the 49 other states. Some people believe in the autonomy of the states whereas others  believe in mandating state behavior out of Washington. Romney believes in the former, and Obama believes in the latter. Obama believes that Washington is the solution whereas Romney believes that Washington is the problem.

This is not complicated.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2012, 08:05:53 PM »

So, Politico believes Joe Manchin can run as a liberal democrat in 2016 and he'd not be a flip-flopper. WV is a conservative state, so you have to be a conservative Governor. Buuut you can have a liberal plan for the entire USA at the same time. I'm sure democrats would love that.

I'm sure there are many people who support death penalty in conservative states and are against it in liberal ones. Obama should make same-sex marriage legal only in blue states. That's the solution. 2 Americas. Or 3. Or 4.

It is not unreasonable for a governor of a state to believe that what their state wants, or what their state can afford, is not necessarily the same for the 49 other states. Some people believe in the autonomy of the states whereas others  believe in mandating state behavior out of Washington. Romney believes in the former, and Obama believes in the latter. Obama believes that Washington is the solution whereas Romney believes that Washington is the problem.

This is not complicated.
I have to give you credit for writing the least biased piece I have read!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2012, 08:22:44 PM »

This is not complicated.

You didn't answer the implied question.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2012, 09:12:59 PM »

This is not complicated.

You didn't answer the implied question.

Joe Manchin is more than welcome to adopt Romney's stance on autonomy of the states. That would be reasonable. I can see Machin easily emulating the path of Bill Clinton, but probably not until 2020.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2012, 09:16:44 PM »

This is not complicated.
You think states should do the governing wall-to-wall. That's a perfectly valid opinion. But we are not a nation of "Blue States and Red States". We are the United States. There are times when we're fifty states and there are times when we're one country, and have national needs.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »

This is not complicated.
You think states should do the governing wall-to-wall. That's a perfectly valid opinion. But we are not a nation of "Blue States and Red States". We are the United States. There are times when we're fifty states and there are times when we're one country, and have national needs.

The Culture War has done more harm than good with regards to maintaining a united union. Yes, there are national needs such as ensuring the national economy is globally competitive (Obama has failed on this) and providing for national defense and law/order.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies