Opinion of replacing Columbus Day with Native American Day (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 08:46:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of replacing Columbus Day with Native American Day (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Support

Oppose

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Opinion of replacing Columbus Day with Native American Day  (Read 6990 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:37:18 PM »

Columbus is the most overrated man in history. 

Oh, yeah?  When was the last time you talked a queen into giving you fifty million dollars?  Sure, Ferdinand was gay so he probably wasn't giving Isabella the high, hard one.  You might have been able to talk her into the sack, cowboy, but don't even start to think you're as slick as Chris.

Native American Day?  Sure, that just rolls off the tongue.  Give me a break.  We may be stuck with one of the most cacophonic and illogical languages in the world as a matter of history, but let's not go out of our way to make it worse.  I'll stick with Columbus Day.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:05:41 PM »

We should have a day to honor explorers in general, not one specific more-than-usually historically significant but less-than-usually admirable one.

Explorers in General Day.  Now that really rolls of the tongue.

You should get the Salvadorians to change their currency from the Colón to the Exploradores por lo general. 

"Hola, cuanto cuesta los zapatos?" 

"Pues, treinta y dos Exploradores por lo general, señor." 

Okay, to be fair they did stop making Colones since the last time I was in El Salvador, but it was to adopt the US Dollar as their official currency, not to create the Exploradores por lo General.

You might convince Columbia, either the District or the country, to change its name.  "Welcome to Washington, District of Explorers in General."  That has a nice ring to it.  Wink

In principle, I might be comfortable with changing the name of Columbus Day just for the hell of it, but so far only really stupid alternatives have been suggested.  Why not just leave it as is?  The world is confusing enough without the constant changing of names. 

"Please prepare for our landing in Tanzania...
I'm sorry, it is now called New Zanzibar.
Excuse me.  It is now called Pepsi presents New Zanzibar."

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »

That'd be okay, but drop the Erikson, and, in before it gets mentioned, "the lucky" as well.  Make it one word.  Leifday.  In the far future, when people are even shallower than they are now, they'll assume it has to do with autumn, and they'll tell each other that this was how 21st-Century Americans spelled Leaf.  Probably there will be some ritual that goes with it.  Hey dude, what did you get for Leifday?  A new leaf blower, man.  Awesome, my parents just got me a rake.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:55:16 AM »

I don't know very many people who even realize Columbus Day when it happens. Is it really a big deal?

I don't get the day off in my current or past few jobs, but I have had it before.  It is a postal holiday.  This year it will be Monday October 14.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies