Fight Night (The Debates): C-SPAN: CO GOV LIVE, HI GOV, IL GOV, NH SEN + AK SEN (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:22:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Fight Night (The Debates): C-SPAN: CO GOV LIVE, HI GOV, IL GOV, NH SEN + AK SEN (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fight Night (The Debates): C-SPAN: CO GOV LIVE, HI GOV, IL GOV, NH SEN + AK SEN  (Read 23153 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« on: October 13, 2010, 04:14:58 PM »

Agreed, its a homework assignment.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:08:52 PM »

The only good part was when O'Donnell started floundering with the evolution question.

The rape and incest abortion thing I don't think will go over well in Delaware either.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 08:39:54 PM »

The only good part was when O'Donnell started floundering with the evolution question.

The rape and incest abortion thing I don't think will go over well in Delaware either.

She answered the evolution question just fine by stating that her personal views are irrelevant - What I said now and said then is that is should be up to the local school boards to decide what to teach, not dictated from up above.

Anyway, it's the economy, stupid.  Most voters don't care about evolution or abortion or other social issues this cycle.  Conservatives who care would have voted for her regardless.  Liberals who disagree wouldn't be voting for her regardless.

O'Donnell wasn't the best, but blew far past the low expectations Democrats inexplicably set for her.  To me, Coons came across as an arrogant, condescending prick.  And the moderators were largely on Coons' side.

She gave a horrible answer to the Evolution question.  The fact she thinks its ok for schools to teach Creationism along with Evolution is just absurd.  This is Delaware, now Texas, that crap won't fly.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:47:27 PM »

She gave a horrible answer to the Evolution question.  The fact she thinks its ok for schools to teach Creationism along with Evolution is just absurd.  This is Delaware, now Texas, that crap won't fly.

Very few voters care about evolution in most election cycles.  Nobody really cares this cycle, when the economy is front-and-center.  It's a non-issue.

And Sussex County, Delaware is a lot like Texas, in some ways.

The economy is most important, but voters don't want kooks either..  Believing Evolution is a myth and schools should be able to teach Creationism along with Evolution as equally valid is a kooky position to have.  Sussex County might be like Texas, but its 21% of the state.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 09:52:08 PM »

The economy is most important, but voters don't want kooks either..  Believing Evolution is a myth and schools should be able to teach Creationism along with Evolution as equally valid is a kooky position to have.  Sussex County might be like Texas, but its 21% of the state.

Believing that local school boards should decide curriculum is hardly a controversial position.  Moreover, you are greatly overestimating the percentage of Americans who care about a politician's views on evolution - and what Americans actually think about evolution, for that matter.  Americans who believe the conventional scientific view of evolution due to natural processes are actually in the MINORITY - 32%, per Pew in 2009.  22% believe in evolution guided by a supreme being - more or less intelligent design.  And 31% believe humans existed in their present form since the beginning of time - more or less creationism.  

Believing local school boards is one thing, believing they should be able to jam religion into Science class and treat in the same as Science based Evolution is another thing entirely.  She is crazy.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 10:13:55 PM »

Not being able to answer a question about the Supreme Court Decisions she disagreed with was pretty pathetic.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:23:27 PM »

Not being able to answer a question about the Supreme Court Decisions she disagreed with was pretty pathetic.

Why not just go with the obvious Roe v. Wade?

Blitzer pushed her in that direction at one point, but the question was focused on recent decisions.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 10:25:30 PM »

That's a trick question used primarily against conservatives to make them look stupid.  The question was what RECENT decisions do you disagree with, not all decisions.  It's a conservative court, and conservatives agree with almost all of the Supreme Court's most recent decisions.  Therefore, they have to think a lot before responding - probably back to Kelo, which is the only recent decision that jumps out to me.  Most of the decisions conservatives don't like are older, like Roe v. Wade, which was beyond the bounds of the question.

Note that the moderators didn't try to force Coons to name another decision he disagreed with when he mentioned the same Citizens United decision that was brought up in a previous question.  The moderators were so biased and out to burn the witch at the stake that it wasn't close to fair.

Oh please, what a load of hackish crap.  The moderators asked a perfectly fair question, Coons was able to answer O'Donnell could not.  They were fair throughout.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 11:40:16 PM »

Oh please, what a load of hackish crap.  The moderators asked a perfectly fair question, Coons was able to answer O'Donnell could not.  They were fair throughout.

That question is as loaded as asking a candidate which recent positions of Barack Obama you disagree with.  A Republican would come up with multiple, easy answers.  A Democrat would have a much tougher time answering it because he agrees with much of the Obama agenda.

Conservatives agree with a majority of the recent Supreme Court jurisprudence because it has been conservative.  Our beef is usually with insane lower court decisions, especially from the Ninth Circuit.  I can't think of another recent Supreme Court decision that conservatives usually disagree with other than Kelo and perhaps some of the campaign finance decisions for not going far enough.

But my guess is this will be the soundbite the lamestream media harps on, since it makes O'Donnell look stupid.

Ooh lamestream media, gone full Sarah Palin on us now....
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 02:27:09 AM »

I'm far from the only one who thought Coons came across as condescending:

"Coons can can barely contain his disdain for his opponent," noted Gloria Borger, a senior political analyst for CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/10/13/odonnell.debate.performance/

Having disdain and being condescending are two different things....
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 01:16:35 PM »

I counted about six or seven crazed/ignorant statements be one of the candidates (I watched it while working out at the gym in the hotel I am staying at, until about an hour into it, some other dude came in, and asked if he could change the channel about into the "debate," and I said OK. I had had enough).

I particular liked the bit about repealing the capital gains tax.  That way, I could sell some of my assets that I have owned since rocks cooled, get a huge step up in basis, and as to real estate, replace it with other real estate, and re-commence to depreciate it, and get a deduction against my income, a second time.  Just how cool is that?Tongue

And then there was the bit about the pizza parlor guy making $300,000 a year, who should not get a tax increase.  One of the candidates noted in a rejoinder that the 300K figure was before the pizza guy had to pay all his employees.  I didn't know until this was pointed out to me, that apparently, employee expenses cannot be deducted against income.  No wonder employers are reluctant to hire anyone! Who knew?

Wrong.  They are able to deduct employee expenses from income.  O'Donnell just lied.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 02:29:39 PM »

9 PM mountain or eastern time? Because I may post-game with a little Reid on Angle debating action.

Eastern Time.
[/quote

Boo, I'll probably miss 1/2 of it.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 03:07:05 PM »

Manchin and Raese are having their only debate at 8 PM. It'll be broadcast on C-SPAN. I'd imagine that one could get pretty ugly.

Also, the Cuomo v. Paladino v. a bunch of other crazy people awesomeness is tonight! Unfortunately, it looks like it'll only be on local news stations in NY.

The Cuomo v. Paladino v. Spitzer's Madam v. the former Black Panther v. the Rent is Too Damn High Guy starts at 7.  It should be live streamed on NY1.com, news12.com and Newsday.com among others - in theory.  None of these sites has a link up yet, and since Cablevision holds its sites hostage behind a pay wall, maybe not.

Newsday is behind a pay wall, but News 12 is not

http://www.news12.com/index.jsp
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »

Manchin and Raese are having their only debate at 8 PM. It'll be broadcast on C-SPAN. I'd imagine that one could get pretty ugly.

Also, the Cuomo v. Paladino v. a bunch of other crazy people awesomeness is tonight! Unfortunately, it looks like it'll only be on local news stations in NY.

The Cuomo v. Paladino v. Spitzer's Madam v. the former Black Panther v. the Rent is Too Damn High Guy starts at 7.  It should be live streamed on NY1.com, news12.com and Newsday.com among others - in theory.  None of these sites has a link up yet, and since Cablevision holds its sites hostage behind a pay wall, maybe not.

Newsday is behind a pay wall, but News 12 is not

http://www.news12.com/index.jsp

News 12 is behind a pay wall for those who do not use Cablevision or certain other cable companies as their ISP.

It was at one time,  don't think it is anymore.   I have Verizon Fios.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 04:18:47 PM »

It still is for me - but I've never been a Cablevision subscriber.  You might have some old cookies on your computer or something if you had Cablevision or one of the other eligible cable services.  It theoretically is available for cable subscribers no matter what network their computers are on.

Nope.  Last time I had Cablevision was a few years ago when I was still living with my parents ( I think 07, but could have been 06).   At that time they switched to Verizon Fios, and when I moved into my Apartment last year I got Fios right away.  I got my laptop a few months later.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 04:46:14 PM »

It still is for me - but I've never been a Cablevision subscriber.  You might have some old cookies on your computer or something if you had Cablevision or one of the other eligible cable services.  It theoretically is available for cable subscribers no matter what network their computers are on.

Nope.  Last time I had Cablevision was a few years ago when I was still living with my parents ( I think 07, but could have been 06).   At that time they switched to Verizon Fios, and when I moved into my Apartment last year I got Fios right away.  I got my laptop a few months later.

All I can tell you is that I cannot access the news12.com website from my computer or cell phone.  I get a message saying that you must be a Cablevision, Time Warner, Comcast or Service Electric subscriber.

The only thing I could possibly think of is cookies on my computer from when I visited my parents (they now live outside of Charlotte and have Time Warner), but that doesn't correspond to the out of area thing they list as well.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 06:15:58 PM »

This debate is already hilarious. Freedom Party guy!

Rent is Too damn high guy is hilarious
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 06:22:55 PM »

Will Paladino be able to answer one question during this debate without stumbling all over himself??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 07:23:53 PM »

Paladino probably saved from going off on a hate rhetoric by the Gay marriage question being a quick yes or no
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 02:40:45 AM »

It wasn't noticeable for those watching on TV, but at one point toward the end of the debate Paladino got up to use the bathroom.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 03:13:07 AM »

Not sure where to put this, but this is too damn hilarious

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies