MI-GOV: Who wins Dem primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:04:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-GOV: Who wins Dem primary?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Who wins Dem primary?
Gretchen Whitmer

Shri Thanedar

Abdul el-Sayed

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: MI-GOV: Who wins Dem primary?  (Read 5955 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2018, 12:20:41 AM »

So one lesson from tonight:

Just because Hillary Clinton was heavily favored in the Michigan primary and lost does not mean that every single female frontrunner ever who runs in the state will also lose. And yes, this was basically the reasoning of anyone doubting Whitmer.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2018, 12:35:40 AM »

Big win for my girl Gretchen! I love how people like HuffPo are calling this a big loss for progressives, like Whitney is this blue dog or something... Anyway, glad the both of them crushed Shri who is just an all around HP.
The media is so desperate to paint this Hillary wing v. Bernie wing narrative that they will purposely misrepresent a candidate's record to create some base contrast.

The media sucks.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2018, 06:06:21 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2018, 07:07:15 AM by libertpaulian »

Well, she won an outright majority of the vote, and won every county except for Washtenaw (and even there, she lost by slightly over 100 votes).  

This is close enough as it'll be to a Stacey Evans-ing for El-Sayed.  I'll take it.

Plus, more Dems voted in the primary!  Good luck, Schuette.  You'll need it.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2018, 06:10:01 AM »

The race wasn’t close after 9
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2018, 11:05:51 AM »

I was a pollworker so I had no idea who won anything outside my precinct until 10:30 PM Tongue
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2018, 11:09:16 AM »

Well, she won an outright majority of the vote, and won every county except for Washtenaw (and even there, she lost by slightly over 100 votes).  

This is close enough as it'll be to a Stacey Evans-ing for El-Sayed.  I'll take it.

With 100% in, Gretchen did end up winning Washtenaw by .2% or 127 votes.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »

Whitmer outpolled Schuette overall, 582,583 to 498,419 and marginally did so in Macomb (where she won big), 50,856 to 49,850 (Schuette also won big in Macomb).

I foresee a hard-fought battle with Whitmer ultimately coming out on top, 53%-45% or so; she narrowly wins Macomb.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2018, 12:36:18 PM »

Whitmer outpolled Schuette overall, 582,583 to 498,419 and marginally did so in Macomb (where she won big), 50,856 to 49,850 (Schuette also won big in Macomb).

I foresee a hard-fought battle with Whitmer ultimately coming out on top, 53%-45% or so; she narrowly wins Macomb.
I honestly think if she doesn't harp on social issues too much, she'll be the perfect fit for Macomb.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2018, 12:59:45 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2018, 01:40:19 PM by BernieBro »

Taking as  much money as she did from blue cross and blue shield kind of hurts the idea that you are a progressive. Several other camdidates might only want public option but they want to get money out of politics. Ah well. Not like sp is doable at the state level. Stayed was too nerdy for Michigan but I would love to see him as secretary of HHS under a dem president.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2018, 01:19:36 PM »

Taking as  money as she did from blue cross and blue shield kind of hurts the idea that you are a progressive. Several other camdidates might only want public option but they want to get money out of politics. Ah well. Not like sp is doable at the state level. Stayed was too nerdy for Michigan but I would love to see him as secretary of HHS under a dem president.
Are you guys SERIOUSLY going to make EVERY election a reprise of Bernie vs. Hillary?!
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2018, 01:39:36 PM »

Taking as  much money as she did from blue cross and blue shield kind of hurts the idea that you are a progressive. Several other camdidates might only want public option but they want to get money out of politics. Ah well. Not like sp is doable at the state level. Sated was too nerdy for Michigan but I would love to see him as secretary of HHS under a dem president.
Are you guys SERIOUSLY going to make EVERY election a reprise of Bernie vs. Hillary?!

It's not about Bernie! It's about money in politics! Stacey Abrams, Kara Eastman, and others supported Hillary but I'm not shouting #bernieorbust at them. Nor am I at candidates like Dean Phillips in MN-3 who are not as progressive but they aren't bought! I know Whitmer came out in favor of abolishing Ice which is a bold move.  But she is not in the same league as people who may have supported Hillary but ran to the left socially and economically.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »

Taking as  money as she did from blue cross and blue shield kind of hurts the idea that you are a progressive. Several other camdidates might only want public option but they want to get money out of politics. Ah well. Not like sp is doable at the state level. Stayed was too nerdy for Michigan but I would love to see him as secretary of HHS under a dem president.

Because the left has learned to use Bernie-style tactics against their primary opponents. Call them corporate shills, dig up some one-time donation from one of their bogeymen from 15 years ago, and scream that they’re actually a conservative Republican pretending to be a Democrat when their platform is verbatim compared to their anointed candidate.

Then when their anointed, usually unelectable candidate doesn’t win the primary, they have a three-year-old temper tantrum and refuse to vote for the nominee. Some have the sense to come home in November, but others vote for Jill Stein and allow Trump to win a plurality.

Whether the Democratic candidate wins or not, they spend the offseason babbling about defecting to a new party and watching Cenk Uygur all day.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2018, 03:58:07 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2018, 04:02:07 PM by mathstatman »

I honestly think if she doesn't harp on social issues too much, she'll be the perfect fit for Macomb.

I think she will focus on economic and infrastructure issues ("Fix the d*mn roads!") She may do well to campaign in areas in which she did well, such as Northern Michigan (where she flirted with 70% in a few counties) Macomb, and the Thumb, focusing on these issues, as well as education. Of course she will also need to give those in the UP and Blacks in Detroit, Pontiac, Flint, and Saginaw (Thanedar's strongest areas) as well as young whites in Washtenaw County and southeast Oakland County (El-Sayed's strongest areas) a reason to turn out and vote for her. Going for her is the fact that a few supporters of Republican Brian Calley may vote for her as well.

I say she wins 53-45, winning nearly 75% in Wayne and Washtenaw, 70% in Ingham, 56% in Oakland, and 50% in Macomb. Helping to keeping her numbers down in these latter two counties is that Schuette has positioned himself as a champion of private schools-- of which there are many in these two counties (plus that fact that Macomb still has a lot of single-issue--abortion--voters). She should finish in the 40s in the Thumb and Northern Michigan counties that gave Hillary percentages in the 20s.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2018, 04:01:10 PM »

He said nothing about Hillary or Bernie. He just said hes disappointed that Whitmer took money from major healthcare companies, and chides that while Whitmer does support medicare for all, she doesnt support stricter campaign finance reform. He then says he hopes Abdul goes farther in politics. Dont make a big deal over something that isnt even there.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »

Because the left has learned to use Bernie-style tactics against their primary opponents. Call them corporate shills, dig up some one-time donation from one of their bogeymen from 15 years ago, and scream that they’re actually a conservative Republican pretending to be a Democrat when their platform is verbatim compared to their anointed candidate.

Then when their anointed, usually unelectable candidate doesn’t win the primary, they have a three-year-old temper tantrum and refuse to vote for the nominee. Some have the sense to come home in November, but others vote for Jill Stein and allow Trump to win a plurality.

Whether the Democratic candidate wins or not, they spend the offseason babbling about defecting to a new party and watching Cenk Uygur all day.
you guys are complaining about a problem that doesnt even exist. No Dem is throwing temper tantrums, there is no civil war with Leftys calling moderates Corporate Shills(in fact, most Ds dont except corporate money anymore, moderate and Left), and no Lefty is treating their candidates as anointed. Jill Stein barely got 1% in the election, and many factors went into Hillary's loss. But if you want to keep blaming the Left of the party, go right ahead, whatever makes you feel better.

Edit: And electability has nothing to do with ideology.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2018, 04:38:26 PM »

Taking as  much money as she did from blue cross and blue shield kind of hurts the idea that you are a progressive. Several other camdidates might only want public option but they want to get money out of politics. Ah well. Not like sp is doable at the state level. Sated was too nerdy for Michigan but I would love to see him as secretary of HHS under a dem president.

It's not about Bernie! It's about money in politics! Stacey Abrams, Kara Eastman, and others supported Hillary but I'm not shouting #bernieorbust at them. Nor am I at candidates like Dean Phillips in MN-3 who are not as progressive but they aren't bought! I know Whitmer came out in favor of abolishing Ice which is a bold move.  But she is not in the same league as people who may have supported Hillary but ran to the left socially and economically.

On everything but healthcare, Whitmer is pretty progressive. Wants to gut RTW, pro-$15 min wage, pro-infrastructure developments.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2018, 07:09:26 PM »

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2018, 08:16:11 PM »

you guys are complaining about a problem that doesnt even exist. No Dem is throwing temper tantrums, there is no civil war with Leftys calling moderates Corporate Shills(in fact, most Ds dont except corporate money anymore, moderate and Left), and no Lefty is treating their candidates as anointed. Jill Stein barely got 1% in the election, and many factors went into Hillary's loss. But if you want to keep blaming the Left of the party, go right ahead, whatever makes you feel better.

Preach!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2018, 08:27:54 PM »

The problem with Whitmer is 98% style, though the whole Blue Cross stuff and stance of Campaign Finance is a little much...but no worse than the "Abolish ICE" hysteria going around, especially with the Berniecrats.

But style is key when there's little real, tangible difference. And Woodmer doesn't have it compared to the more passionate, bold, and articulated El-Sayed. Even Thanedar had more going for him in that regard (though there was plenty else wrong with him).

It's easy to say whose "more electable" when you have a semi-arbitrary checklist, both candidates check the boxes off, but the factor is who has the most money, regardless of where the money is coming from, persuasiveness, and keeping the other side on the defense.

Now with the loss of El-Sayed, the burden shifts on the hope that Schuette is quite wooden himself.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2018, 09:03:13 PM »

I actually find Whitmer rather pleasant to listen to: https://youtu.be/oVUCNGo77zY
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2018, 09:09:42 PM »

The problem with Whitmer is 98% style, though the whole Blue Cross stuff and stance of Campaign Finance is a little much...but no worse than the "Abolish ICE" hysteria going around, especially with the Berniecrats.

But style is key when there's little real, tangible difference. And Woodmer doesn't have it compared to the more passionate, bold, and articulated El-Sayed. Even Thanedar had more going for him in that regard (though there was plenty else wrong with him).

It's easy to say whose "more electable" when you have a semi-arbitrary checklist, both candidates check the boxes off, but the factor is who has the most money, regardless of where the money is coming from, persuasiveness, and keeping the other side on the defense.

Now with the loss of El-Sayed, the burden shifts on the hope that Schuette is quite wooden himself.

Eh, Thanedar made a fool of himself everywhere he went. Whitmer is not that charismatic, certainly not as much as El-Sayed, but she's got Obama levels of charisma compared to Thanedar.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2018, 12:50:07 AM »

Taking as  money as she did from blue cross and blue shield kind of hurts the idea that you are a progressive. Several other camdidates might only want public option but they want to get money out of politics. Ah well. Not like sp is doable at the state level. Stayed was too nerdy for Michigan but I would love to see him as secretary of HHS under a dem president.

That’s what this primary turned into down the stretch. “BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!” became El-Sayed’s rallying cry at the end, which was the equivalent of Bernie’s “WALL STREET SPEECHES!!!!!!!!!!” in 2016. They even attacked Whitmer for the fact that her father was the CEO of BCBS from 1988-2006. I guess they thought she should have chosen a different father before she was born to better prepare for her political career.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2018, 12:34:00 PM »

Eh, Thanedar made a fool of himself everywhere he went. Whitmer is not that charismatic, certainly not as much as El-Sayed, but she's got Obama levels of charisma compared to Thanedar.
I think she'll find her voice, and find a message that goes beyond "fix the d*mn roads", which she repeated in her victory speech. She definitely needs to reach out to El-Sayed supporters, which she will. She may want to point out that Bill Schuette was first elected to Congress in 1984, when Whitmer was 13.
wjx987
Rookie
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2018, 12:56:24 PM »

a lot of ads and outreach in Detroit proper alone
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2018, 02:52:09 PM »

a lot of ads and outreach in Detroit proper alone

Fascinating that none of this poured out into the suburbs at all. Thanedar's campaign will go down as one of the strangest/most quixotic this cycle.

JMC map of WayneCo:

Wow Detroit...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies