"Dark Horse" VP picks (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 08:19:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  "Dark Horse" VP picks (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Dark Horse" VP picks  (Read 4132 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: August 05, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »

The L.A. Times floated an idea earlier this summer about Chet Edwards with Obama.  I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now.

I really don't get Ensign, since he's done such a terrible job recruiting candidates in states where victory might have been easy.

I won't say Mike Pence, Tony Zinni or Sam Nunn are dark horses because they've been talked about by more than just a random pundit, blog or newspaper.

If Christine Todd Whitman were anti-choice, she'd be a good pick for McCain.  He needs to make it more clear that he's no George W. Bush.  And tapping someone who was clearly unhappy in the Bush Administration...who also has significant experience in governing...would be a master stroke.  But the abortion issue is still huge to the GOP base and Mac can't risk making the far right any less happy.

Kit Bond?  If McCain thinks he needs to shore up the midwest...

Richard Burr?  A.H. Duke brought him up awhile ago when I was thinking Sanford.  The more I thought about it, the more it made sense.  He's not a far rightist but he's still reasonably conservative.

And my darkest of dark horses for Obama?  Indiana Senator Richard Lugar.  Please don't flame me.  I know it's not going to happen.  But as a journalist and a history nut, I love big political earthquakes.  And it's been awhile since we've had one.  I guess this is just me WISHING this would happen. 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:46:25 PM »

And my darkest of dark horses for Obama?  Indiana Senator Richard Lugar.  Please don't flame me.  I know it's not going to happen.  But as a journalist and a history nut, I love big political earthquakes.  And it's been awhile since we've had one.  I guess this is just me WISHING this would happen. 

JS, I have thought of this too considering the Big O's love-fest with Lugar, and I wouldn't put it past him truly considering him........but his party leadership would have no parts of it.  So no flaming, my friend, you just said what more than 1 person has thought.

Yep -- that's the thing.  The partisans in my party would put their collective foot down.  My only hope is that they would be as spineless in dealing with Obama as they have been in dealing with the Republicans.  But reality is reality -- No matter how much conservatives respect Lieberman on the war, his liberal views disqualify him as VP for McCain.  And no matter how much liberals respect Lugar on foreign policy, his flat tax ideas and his his social conservatism make him an impossibility.

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 01:35:42 PM »

JS, I have thought of this too considering the Big O's love-fest with Lugar, and I wouldn't put it past him truly considering him........but his party leadership would have no parts of it.  So no flaming, my friend, you just said what more than 1 person has thought.

Yep -- that's the thing.  The partisans in my party would put their collective foot down.  My only hope is that they would be as spineless in dealing with Obama as they have been in dealing with the Republicans.  But reality is reality -- No matter how much conservatives respect Lieberman on the war, his liberal views disqualify him as VP for McCain.  And no matter how much liberals respect Lugar on foreign policy, his flat tax ideas and his his social conservatism make him an impossibility.

GM & JS in 2012......we'll kick so much ass........lol.  A Moderate/Maoist ticket can win, right?  Wink

Exactly.  We will re-educate and collectivize everyone.  But only very moderately.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »

GM & JS in 2012......we'll kick so much ass........lol.  A Moderate/Maoist ticket can win, right?  Wink

Exactly.  We will re-educate and collectivize everyone.  But only very moderately.

OOH OOH . . . can I be Secretary of Defense/State?  *grins*

We'll have some new and different cabinet positions.  Like, who do you suppose would be "Secretary of Strip Clubs"?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies