Portman says no to presidential race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:58:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Portman says no to presidential race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Portman says no to presidential race  (Read 3372 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »

Sad to see him bow out, but he could run in 2020, assuming Hillary runs and wins. He will definitely be a top choice for VP in '16, though.

He was destined to be a Huntsman-retread this cycle, but his departure clears the way for a Kasich run, which I do think is more likely, but given a race between him and Jeb - Jeb will be the establishment pick.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »

Portman is the very definition of a Generic Republican. He'd be a perfect VP selection.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 07:43:39 PM »

Yeah, this was probably was his best call. and he should be safe in a General Election, but if someone like Jim Jordan, Steve Stivers or Matt Huffman were to attempt a primary challenge , there could be problems for him.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 08:07:04 PM »

Yeah, this was probably was his best call. and he should be safe in a General Election, but if someone like Jim Jordan, Steve Stivers or Matt Huffman were to attempt a primary challenge , there could be problems for him.

Jordan could, but won't.  Huffman and Stivers are establishment guys through-and-through.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2014, 12:57:01 AM »

Jordan could, but won't.  Huffman and Stivers are establishment guys through-and-through.

Jordan would make things very interesting if he did. He'd represent quite well a Tea Party alternative to Portman and a very good one at that. Jim Jordan would be one of the hardest Ohio Republicans possible to stop (in the primary of course). But I agree he won't do it, much for the very same reasons he would be a good choice in the first place. He may be a Tea Party guy but he's also not the combative type within the party.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »

Jordan would make things very interesting if he did. He'd represent quite well a Tea Party alternative to Portman and a very good one at that. Jim Jordan would be one of the hardest Ohio Republicans possible to stop (in the primary of course). But I agree he won't do it, much for the very same reasons he would be a good choice in the first place. He may be a Tea Party guy but he's also not the combative type within the party.

He used to be, but ever since Boehner threatened to have his district obliterated during redistricting, he's settled down.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »

Given his seat is up in 2016, it's probably a smart move.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 07:49:25 PM »

Kasich is in the same niche as him and has more weight nationally. It was likely to happen.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 09:56:34 PM »

He used to be, but ever since Boehner threatened to have his district obliterated during redistricting, he's settled down.

Do you have any info on Boehner threatening him with that? I spoke to someone in the Ohio GOP leadership about redistricting back in 2011 who had told me despite the rumors there was never any chance the GOP would carve up Jordan's district--and that if they did Jordan would probably still win the primary against Latta, Turner, Chabot, Austria, Stivers, or Schmidt anyway.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2014, 03:21:09 PM »

I don't believe he would even come close to the nomination due to the homosexual & immigration issues.  We need a conservative candidate who will not cause the base to stay home again
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »

I don't believe he would even come close to the nomination due to the homosexual & immigration issues.  We need a conservative candidate who will not cause the base to stay home again

lmao the GOP basically gave up on "homosexual issues" a few months ago.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »

Do you have any info on Boehner threatening him with that? I spoke to someone in the Ohio GOP leadership about redistricting back in 2011 who had told me despite the rumors there was never any chance the GOP would carve up Jordan's district--and that if they did Jordan would probably still win the primary against Latta, Turner, Chabot, Austria, Stivers, or Schmidt anyway.

I heard it from a pretty reliable source.  But you could be right (or it may have been a successful bluff on Boehner's part.  In any event, it's a moot point now.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies