Irish Demographic Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:39:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish Demographic Maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: Irish Demographic Maps  (Read 34579 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2012, 07:17:26 PM »

Fascinating, and I normally find this kind of thing very dull. I live in 'Dublin Central' and don't recall ever seeing any farms around but some people have gardens and perhaps some of them grow broccoli or something. Wink

Whereabouts, if I may be so imprudent to ask?

Cabra, one of Bertie's many old stomping grounds. I once came home to find the man himself in my kitchen, let in by my brother to the horror of my parents.

What.

That's the appropriate reaction, yes.

Bertie Ahern used to knock on doors canvassing as part of his "man of the people" schtick. Sometimes he would be invited inside briefly to talk about how he represented the plain people of Ireland or whatever. Anyway, my parents would never have let him in but my fourteen-year-old brother knew no better so that... happened.

I've never been the same since.

That's, uh, special. You have my condolences.

Could have been worse, he could have been in one of the presses.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »

Could have been worse, he could have been in one of the presses.

If only you had a padlock...
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2012, 08:17:04 PM »

Now to go a bit off-base. Lietuva!

Yes, that's right. No detailed Protestant information available but there is data on the Lithuanian-born (In nation of birth the data by constituency I can access is Ireland, the UK, Poland, Lithuania, Other EU and ROTW (see above)).

No surprise to me here. When I worked in Lithuania in the mid-90s, several of my (female) translators went to the highest tone to describe their Irish holiday experience (50 shades of green, etc.). Whatever it is with the Irish and the Lithuanians, there seems to be a good cultural fit (might have to do with love for singing, and immunity to gray skies). I wouldn't be surprised it the majority of the Lithuanian immigrants were female ..
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »

Now to go a bit off-base. Lietuva!

Yes, that's right. No detailed Protestant information available but there is data on the Lithuanian-born (In nation of birth the data by constituency I can access is Ireland, the UK, Poland, Lithuania, Other EU and ROTW (see above)).

No surprise to me here. When I worked in Lithuania in the mid-90s, several of my (female) translators went to the highest tone to describe their Irish holiday experience (50 shades of green, etc.). Whatever it is with the Irish and the Lithuanians, there seems to be a good cultural fit (might have to do with love for singing, and immunity to gray skies). I wouldn't be surprised it the majority of the Lithuanian immigrants were female ..

A slight majority (19k vs 17k) but not as strongly female as the other ex-USSR nationalities. (All ex-Warsaw Pact nationalities had male majorities in contrast.)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2012, 08:45:27 PM by ilikeverin »

I thought there were more Prots in Cavan/Monaghan

There were, especially in Monaghan*. The population declined dramatically after partition though.

And, o/c, some of them fled the island entirely even before partition, hence my very existence here in the US Wink  But that applies to many Irish people Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2012, 08:02:43 AM »

Oakvale, for some reason I thought you came from Monaghan.

No, that's the other (now rarely seen) I-IE poster; Jas.

Ah, apologies.
I tend to think of you three as the Jas Spinoffs. Wink
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »

Lower Professionals:

Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »

What is going on in Northern Donegal? Quite full of lower professionals, almost half of which were born in the UK, but are nevertheless mostly Catholic. Londonderry suburbs growing into the Republic of Ireland ?
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2013, 10:59:50 AM »
« Edited: January 01, 2013, 11:10:22 AM by ObserverIE »

What is going on in Northern Donegal? Quite full of lower professionals, almost half of which were born in the UK, but are nevertheless mostly Catholic. Londonderry suburbs growing into the Republic of Ireland ?

The "born in the UK" is a result of Derry suburban growth and natural interaction across a border which represents a legal rather than a cultural division in the area. (The "UK citizen" figures are much, much lower by comparison.) There's also a concentration of supporting employment in and around Letterkenny (regional hospital, Institute of Technology) which becomes more apparent when you look at the data at a finer level of detail, with there being a ring of EDs around Letterkenny (Castlewray, Magheraboy, Corravaddy, Ballymacool) with above-average figures as opposed to only one similar ED (Three Trees) which would be unambiguously Derry exurbia.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »

Some more housing stuff would be great, if the data is there.

Regarding born in the U.K; is it also possible that parents in parts of Donegal go to their nearest hospital regardless of country, further boosting the figures? Does that happen? The situation is different, but that's what happens in parts of Mid Wales.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »

Some more housing stuff would be great, if the data is there.

Regarding born in the U.K; is it also possible that parents in parts of Donegal go to their nearest hospital regardless of country, further boosting the figures? Does that happen? The situation is different, but that's what happens in parts of Mid Wales.

There's a maternity unit in Letterkenny (and in Sligo for the south of the county) so it would only be an issue for the immediate surrounds of Derry city (Burt, Burnfoot) and perhaps in more northern parts of Inishowen. However, the "where were you born?" question actually looks for where the mother was resident at the time of the birth rather than the location of the hospital so the question is moot for the census results.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »

Due to.. umm.. circumstances, housing data from 2006 might not necessarily reflect the current situation well (or rather, actually, may represent it far too well).

And now here comes the negative equity belt...

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2013, 01:32:31 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2013, 02:15:49 PM by Japhy Ryder »

Decided to follow the above with the below because.. well, for one obvious correlation is obvious and that furthermore predictable pattern is predictable (although it is important to note that this map measures households, while the above measures persons).

However, personally, as someone who doesn't (and can't) drive, I must admit that unless you lived in the centres of Dublin, Cork and maybe one or two other places you would have to be either mad or broke not to have a car. I suspect this map is a description of the latter for the most part, at least outside of the urban centres.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »

More housing, a bit unusual this one and perhaps it will impress the Americans, anyway...

Comments?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2013, 04:52:04 PM »

Presumably the pattern of old houses is the same in other cities as Dublin?
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2013, 06:16:09 PM »

However, personally, as someone who doesn't (and can't) drive, I must admit that unless you lived in the centres of Dublin, Cork and maybe one or two other places you would have to be either mad or broke not to have a car. I suspect this map is a description of the latter for the most part, at least outside of the urban centres.

Well, there are one or two other reasons for not having a car I can think of. O.K., I guess the Irish weather is not really conducive to solely relying on motorcycles, while boat transport has become much less practical nowadays than it used to be. Nevertheless, you could have an above-average concentration of seniors with motorised relatives living nearby (which would indicate a fairly traitional and rural setting, probably characterised by substantial out-migration).

In any case, I suppose West Galway, standing out as an area with comparable recent, yet predominantly self-financed housing (i.e. mid-20th century suburbs), and low car ownership, would, at least in the part directly adjacent to Galway city, be among the one or two places where you might get along quite well without a car. The region also appears to include a number of smaller islands, where you in fact still might prefer a boat over a car ..
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2013, 06:28:28 PM »

Presumably the pattern of old houses is the same in other cities as Dublin?

You can drill down for more data at various levels at http://census.cso.ie/sapmap/, although the presentation of the data is not as nice as on the AIRO site.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »

In any case, I suppose West Galway, standing out as an area with comparable recent, yet predominantly self-financed housing (i.e. mid-20th century suburbs), and low car ownership, would, at least in the part directly adjacent to Galway city, be among the one or two places where you might get along quite well without a car. The region also appears to include a number of smaller islands, where you in fact still might prefer a boat over a car ..

Just checked it using Comrade Sibleth's link. 73% of the no-car households in Galway West are located inside Galway city, and more than 20% of Galway citizens walk to their work- or schoolplace. So its obviously not primarily about small islands off the coast, but rather about Galway being a middle-sized town which is demographically dominating the whole constituency.

By the way - as great as your maps are, might I ask for some basics (population density, population growth, share of seniors / households with children in total population, highest education achieved, etc.). Some income data would as well be nice, but it appears to not have been covered by the Census.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2013, 06:45:24 AM »

Dublin North West is all after 1919? How come?
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2013, 07:53:26 AM »

Dublin North West is all after 1919? How come?

Finglas was almost entirely rural (and outside the city boundaries) until the 1950s when large-scale council estates were constructed to house people from inner-city Dublin, with a later, more problematic, scheme at Ballymun following in the mid 60s. Tallaght (Dublin South West), Blanchardstown and Mulhuddart (Dublin West), and Lucan and Clondalkin (Dublin Mid West) have similar patterns, although they were developed from the 70s onwards and have a larger mixture of private housing.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2013, 08:13:20 AM »

Remarkably dense for that.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2013, 10:23:41 AM »

Inner city slum clearances.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »

It's not really much more dense than a lot of the other pre-war and post-war developments (take a look at the AIRO website and choose "Population" and then "Population density per SA" to see) but as a constituency, it's entirely within the city boundaries and doesn't include any rural or green-belt territory in the way Dublin West, Mid West and South West do.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »

Da Keltic Tigah in action here

Compare with Car and Owner-Occupier plus Mortgage map.

Of the 10 categories (including not stated) given for age of household this was the largest although it was the shortest time period.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2013, 05:10:38 PM »

More Housing...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies